The Rat: a place to unwind, regroup, listen, play, chill, eat, drink

Senior Ben Bausher found a way to sum up the Rathskeller in just a few words:

“Good people, good bands, good food.”

The Rathskeller is a popular student hangout that offers great food and a variety of entertainment during the school year. For new students, it’s a fun place to hang out; for older students, it is a tradition.

The Rathskeller’s patio, which sits by Lake Osceola, is a scenic spot that draws a crowd on sunny afternoons. Inside, the downstairs of the octagon-shaped building holds the restaurant. The upstairs circles and overlooks the restaurant and has pool tables, TVs, and sofas. Bonus: Pool and dart games are free, a word that students always love to hear!

“We try to make it as laid back as possible,” said Alexis Martinez, who is the head of the Rathskeller Advisory Board, a student-run group in charge of handling Rathskeller issues such as renovations, scheduling events, and quality control.

Martinez said the board’s mission is “to make sure that the quality of the entertainment and the quality of the restaurant as a whole meets the standards of the students and the faculty.”

The Rathskeller’s entertainment lineup includes live local and student bands, talent contests, karaoke, open mic nights, comedians, and local dj’s. Everett Price, the Rathskeller’s manager, said that it is a good place for students to hang out with friends or to get good food at a reasonable price.

“We try and do something for everybody,” he said.

Price said the Rathskeller’s most popular dishes include burgers, chicken fingers and chicken pitas. Cane Cards are accepted. Some students come to the Rathskeller for the events; some just stop by to meet friends; then there are those who come for happy hour …

The Rathskeller is the only place on campus that serves alcohol. The Friday afternoon happy hour, from 4-7 is popular with the 21+ crowd.

“Where else can you get a Simpsons happy hour?” Rathskeller employee Kristin Blatherwick said, referring to the cartoon that was being played behind her on a 15-ft. screen.

The Rathskeller prides itself on having something for everyone. It appeals to people who want to have a high-energy gathering with friends and people who just want a place to unwind.

Senior Lauren Eisenberg said that she often goes there to regroup on Fridays, when she is done with her classes.

“It’s a good place to start off the weekend.”

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...