The Rat: a place to unwind, regroup, listen, play, chill, eat, drink

Senior Ben Bausher found a way to sum up the Rathskeller in just a few words:

“Good people, good bands, good food.”

The Rathskeller is a popular student hangout that offers great food and a variety of entertainment during the school year. For new students, it’s a fun place to hang out; for older students, it is a tradition.

The Rathskeller’s patio, which sits by Lake Osceola, is a scenic spot that draws a crowd on sunny afternoons. Inside, the downstairs of the octagon-shaped building holds the restaurant. The upstairs circles and overlooks the restaurant and has pool tables, TVs, and sofas. Bonus: Pool and dart games are free, a word that students always love to hear!

“We try to make it as laid back as possible,” said Alexis Martinez, who is the head of the Rathskeller Advisory Board, a student-run group in charge of handling Rathskeller issues such as renovations, scheduling events, and quality control.

Martinez said the board’s mission is “to make sure that the quality of the entertainment and the quality of the restaurant as a whole meets the standards of the students and the faculty.”

The Rathskeller’s entertainment lineup includes live local and student bands, talent contests, karaoke, open mic nights, comedians, and local dj’s. Everett Price, the Rathskeller’s manager, said that it is a good place for students to hang out with friends or to get good food at a reasonable price.

“We try and do something for everybody,” he said.

Price said the Rathskeller’s most popular dishes include burgers, chicken fingers and chicken pitas. Cane Cards are accepted. Some students come to the Rathskeller for the events; some just stop by to meet friends; then there are those who come for happy hour …

The Rathskeller is the only place on campus that serves alcohol. The Friday afternoon happy hour, from 4-7 is popular with the 21+ crowd.

“Where else can you get a Simpsons happy hour?” Rathskeller employee Kristin Blatherwick said, referring to the cartoon that was being played behind her on a 15-ft. screen.

The Rathskeller prides itself on having something for everyone. It appeals to people who want to have a high-energy gathering with friends and people who just want a place to unwind.

Senior Lauren Eisenberg said that she often goes there to regroup on Fridays, when she is done with her classes.

“It’s a good place to start off the weekend.”

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...