The Rat: a place to unwind, regroup, listen, play, chill, eat, drink

Senior Ben Bausher found a way to sum up the Rathskeller in just a few words:

“Good people, good bands, good food.”

The Rathskeller is a popular student hangout that offers great food and a variety of entertainment during the school year. For new students, it’s a fun place to hang out; for older students, it is a tradition.

The Rathskeller’s patio, which sits by Lake Osceola, is a scenic spot that draws a crowd on sunny afternoons. Inside, the downstairs of the octagon-shaped building holds the restaurant. The upstairs circles and overlooks the restaurant and has pool tables, TVs, and sofas. Bonus: Pool and dart games are free, a word that students always love to hear!

“We try to make it as laid back as possible,” said Alexis Martinez, who is the head of the Rathskeller Advisory Board, a student-run group in charge of handling Rathskeller issues such as renovations, scheduling events, and quality control.

Martinez said the board’s mission is “to make sure that the quality of the entertainment and the quality of the restaurant as a whole meets the standards of the students and the faculty.”

The Rathskeller’s entertainment lineup includes live local and student bands, talent contests, karaoke, open mic nights, comedians, and local dj’s. Everett Price, the Rathskeller’s manager, said that it is a good place for students to hang out with friends or to get good food at a reasonable price.

“We try and do something for everybody,” he said.

Price said the Rathskeller’s most popular dishes include burgers, chicken fingers and chicken pitas. Cane Cards are accepted. Some students come to the Rathskeller for the events; some just stop by to meet friends; then there are those who come for happy hour …

The Rathskeller is the only place on campus that serves alcohol. The Friday afternoon happy hour, from 4-7 is popular with the 21+ crowd.

“Where else can you get a Simpsons happy hour?” Rathskeller employee Kristin Blatherwick said, referring to the cartoon that was being played behind her on a 15-ft. screen.

The Rathskeller prides itself on having something for everyone. It appeals to people who want to have a high-energy gathering with friends and people who just want a place to unwind.

Senior Lauren Eisenberg said that she often goes there to regroup on Fridays, when she is done with her classes.

“It’s a good place to start off the weekend.”

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

The Hurricanes forced three turnovers and held off a hard-fought effort from Central Michigan, defea ...

Daevenia Achong of the Miami women's tennis team won a pair of matches Sunday to reach the Milw ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up action Sunday at the Miami Fall Invite, posting a 3-1 ...