The Rat: a place to unwind, regroup, listen, play, chill, eat, drink

Senior Ben Bausher found a way to sum up the Rathskeller in just a few words:

“Good people, good bands, good food.”

The Rathskeller is a popular student hangout that offers great food and a variety of entertainment during the school year. For new students, it’s a fun place to hang out; for older students, it is a tradition.

The Rathskeller’s patio, which sits by Lake Osceola, is a scenic spot that draws a crowd on sunny afternoons. Inside, the downstairs of the octagon-shaped building holds the restaurant. The upstairs circles and overlooks the restaurant and has pool tables, TVs, and sofas. Bonus: Pool and dart games are free, a word that students always love to hear!

“We try to make it as laid back as possible,” said Alexis Martinez, who is the head of the Rathskeller Advisory Board, a student-run group in charge of handling Rathskeller issues such as renovations, scheduling events, and quality control.

Martinez said the board’s mission is “to make sure that the quality of the entertainment and the quality of the restaurant as a whole meets the standards of the students and the faculty.”

The Rathskeller’s entertainment lineup includes live local and student bands, talent contests, karaoke, open mic nights, comedians, and local dj’s. Everett Price, the Rathskeller’s manager, said that it is a good place for students to hang out with friends or to get good food at a reasonable price.

“We try and do something for everybody,” he said.

Price said the Rathskeller’s most popular dishes include burgers, chicken fingers and chicken pitas. Cane Cards are accepted. Some students come to the Rathskeller for the events; some just stop by to meet friends; then there are those who come for happy hour …

The Rathskeller is the only place on campus that serves alcohol. The Friday afternoon happy hour, from 4-7 is popular with the 21+ crowd.

“Where else can you get a Simpsons happy hour?” Rathskeller employee Kristin Blatherwick said, referring to the cartoon that was being played behind her on a 15-ft. screen.

The Rathskeller prides itself on having something for everyone. It appeals to people who want to have a high-energy gathering with friends and people who just want a place to unwind.

Senior Lauren Eisenberg said that she often goes there to regroup on Fridays, when she is done with her classes.

“It’s a good place to start off the weekend.”

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...