Sororities integral to UM

Sororities are an integral part to the University of Miami. There are a total of six National Panhellenic sororities on campus with a total membership of almost 600 women.

The Panhellenic Association governs the sororities on campus. The Panhellenic Association is made up of members of all the sororities, and it has executive officers elected every year. It does programming frequently with the Interfraternity Council. The Panhellenic Association also has a variety of coordinator positions filled by more women. These coordinators focus on aspects of Greek life like academics, women’s health issues, philanthropy and many more.

This year the University of Miami Panhellenic Association traveled to Atlanta for its annual SEPC. (Southeastern Panhellenic Conference) Every year SEPC award five awards to all the Panhellenic Associations in the southern United States. These awards range from outstanding programming to outstanding risk management. UM Panhellenic received two of the awards.

The Panhellenic community has a different recruitment policy than the fraternities. The women have a structured, formal recruitment process. Each woman interested in recruitment must register with the Panhellenic Association. After a woman registers, she is assigned a Rho Gamma, or “recruitment guide.” Rho Gammas are women from sororities who give up their time and disaffiliate with their own sororities to guide interested women through recruitment. They introduce interested women to all the sorority members, so each can make her own best choice.

Sororities are great organizations because of the support and guidance provided. Joining a sorority is joining an organization for a lifetime and gaining a new family. A home away from home is a great asset for college students. Remember, rushing will not obligate any woman to join a sorority, it just simply provides an opportunity for women to make friends.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...