Sororities integral to UM

Sororities are an integral part to the University of Miami. There are a total of six National Panhellenic sororities on campus with a total membership of almost 600 women.

The Panhellenic Association governs the sororities on campus. The Panhellenic Association is made up of members of all the sororities, and it has executive officers elected every year. It does programming frequently with the Interfraternity Council. The Panhellenic Association also has a variety of coordinator positions filled by more women. These coordinators focus on aspects of Greek life like academics, women’s health issues, philanthropy and many more.

This year the University of Miami Panhellenic Association traveled to Atlanta for its annual SEPC. (Southeastern Panhellenic Conference) Every year SEPC award five awards to all the Panhellenic Associations in the southern United States. These awards range from outstanding programming to outstanding risk management. UM Panhellenic received two of the awards.

The Panhellenic community has a different recruitment policy than the fraternities. The women have a structured, formal recruitment process. Each woman interested in recruitment must register with the Panhellenic Association. After a woman registers, she is assigned a Rho Gamma, or “recruitment guide.” Rho Gammas are women from sororities who give up their time and disaffiliate with their own sororities to guide interested women through recruitment. They introduce interested women to all the sorority members, so each can make her own best choice.

Sororities are great organizations because of the support and guidance provided. Joining a sorority is joining an organization for a lifetime and gaining a new family. A home away from home is a great asset for college students. Remember, rushing will not obligate any woman to join a sorority, it just simply provides an opportunity for women to make friends.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...