SG President welcome freshmen

Dear New Students,

On behalf of the Student Government at the University of Miami, I would like to congratulate you on your admission to this great institution.

I remember first setting foot on this campus, standing in awe looking at the future I had ahead of me. I stood in front of Hecht Residential College, excited but nervous. I had so many ambitions and goals that I knew I was going to accomplish. As I kept walking, I knew I made the right decision to come to the University of Miami.

As you read this, you will be feeling the emotions that I felt three years ago. It is only natural to feel the anticipation of experiencing something you yet not know. The transitions to university life will not necessarily be easy, but Student Government will be here to help you.

I am so excited about this year. I have been told that your freshman class is one of the best to be accepted at this university. There is no doubt in my mind that you and your fellow students will leave a positive mark on the University of Miami.

So far, I have had over 100 new students contact me and ask what they should do to “make it” at the university. My response is almost the same for everyone. First of all, go to all of the Orientation events. The Department of Orientation and three Program Coordinators have put together an unbelievable program for you this year. Orientation will tell you everything you want and need to know about the university.

When I lived on campus, I had a great time. My door was always open, and I met many new friends. If you are going to commute to campus, spend as much time at the university as possible. Make the university a second home.

Next, I highly recommend that everyone get involved in student organizations. I think one of the best ways to get involved is through Greek Life. Fraternities and sororities promote strong academics and leadership. I encourage everyone to rush. By rushing, you are going to meet hundreds of new friends. Remember, rushing in no way obligates you to join a fraternity or sorority. You can also stop by Student Activities, University Center room 209. Student Activities has over 200 organizations that will be able to meet your interests.

Lastly, I think it is a great idea to have fun. College is a great experience, and there are plenty of things to do down here at Miami.

If you have any questions, you can email me personally at johnston@umiami.edu. You may also call the Student Government at 305-284-3082. I, as well as the rest of SG, are here to make sure you have the best experience possible. Have a great summer and I will see you in the fall.

Sincerely,
Michael A. Johnston
Student Government President

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

It started as a large, plain white wall. It's become a conversation piece. ...

The Hurricanes continue their non-conference homestand on Sunday, November 17 when they host the IUP ...

Miami volleyball forced its third straight five-set match on Friday against NC State, but fell short ...

Dylan Sykes and Emma Langlois, leaders of the Miami cross county program, concluded the 2019 season ...

Following a win in its first road game of the season, the Miami men's basketball team will resu ...