SG President welcome freshmen

Dear New Students,

On behalf of the Student Government at the University of Miami, I would like to congratulate you on your admission to this great institution.

I remember first setting foot on this campus, standing in awe looking at the future I had ahead of me. I stood in front of Hecht Residential College, excited but nervous. I had so many ambitions and goals that I knew I was going to accomplish. As I kept walking, I knew I made the right decision to come to the University of Miami.

As you read this, you will be feeling the emotions that I felt three years ago. It is only natural to feel the anticipation of experiencing something you yet not know. The transitions to university life will not necessarily be easy, but Student Government will be here to help you.

I am so excited about this year. I have been told that your freshman class is one of the best to be accepted at this university. There is no doubt in my mind that you and your fellow students will leave a positive mark on the University of Miami.

So far, I have had over 100 new students contact me and ask what they should do to “make it” at the university. My response is almost the same for everyone. First of all, go to all of the Orientation events. The Department of Orientation and three Program Coordinators have put together an unbelievable program for you this year. Orientation will tell you everything you want and need to know about the university.

When I lived on campus, I had a great time. My door was always open, and I met many new friends. If you are going to commute to campus, spend as much time at the university as possible. Make the university a second home.

Next, I highly recommend that everyone get involved in student organizations. I think one of the best ways to get involved is through Greek Life. Fraternities and sororities promote strong academics and leadership. I encourage everyone to rush. By rushing, you are going to meet hundreds of new friends. Remember, rushing in no way obligates you to join a fraternity or sorority. You can also stop by Student Activities, University Center room 209. Student Activities has over 200 organizations that will be able to meet your interests.

Lastly, I think it is a great idea to have fun. College is a great experience, and there are plenty of things to do down here at Miami.

If you have any questions, you can email me personally at johnston@umiami.edu. You may also call the Student Government at 305-284-3082. I, as well as the rest of SG, are here to make sure you have the best experience possible. Have a great summer and I will see you in the fall.

Sincerely,
Michael A. Johnston
Student Government President

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...