SG President laid-back, dedicated

Student Government President Michael Johnston takes everything with ease. But don’t mistake his laid back attitude for laziness; he still means business.

“I’ve had a really good foundation – this is my third year on the executive board, I’ve started on the student government executive board since I was a freshman.”

Because of this, Johnston says, “I’ve been able to build a lot of good administrative relationships and being president is all about the trust and experience that comes with those types of relationships.”

Johnston is a 22-year-old senior majoring in engineering.

He is also pre-med and plans on venturing to the Peace Corps after he finishes up with his schooling.

He listens to country music, especially Tim Mcgraw, and his favorite movie is A River Runs Through it, starring Robert Redford and Brad Pitt.

When he’s not catching a movie you can probably find him at the beach or at one of UM’s sporting events.

“I love sports, every single sporting event – I try not to miss any,” Johnston said.

With all these activities Johnston attends to, one may wonder when he accomplishes any schoolwork or his newfound Student Government responsibilities. But Johnston has got this covered too.

“I’ve learned to balance work and play,” Johnston says, “There are some times when I have to stay focused on my studies and responsibilities but being an executive officer in my fraternity, I’ve learned to budget my time and money.”

Johnston attributes much of his development and maturity as an individual to his fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha.

“Pi Kappa Alpha has been the biggest leadership experience for me. Going Greek has forced me to mature,” he said.

Yet while holding a prestigious title in his fraternity and a large background in leadership experiences, Johnston prides himself on being the same person he was before becoming Student Government President.

“One thing I pride myself on is I don’t ever try to flaunt my titles-I work for people and not titles. It doesn’t take a title to change things-it takes a strong ambition and a good personality.”

President-elect Johnston presents himself as a humble, outgoing, and laid back character who loves country music and an occasional party.

However, Johnston also emphasizes that he’s here to serve the student body. “There are a lot of people who are older than me, who make more money than me, but we’re still the same at UM – I’m here to work for everyone.”

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...