SG President laid-back, dedicated

Student Government President Michael Johnston takes everything with ease. But don’t mistake his laid back attitude for laziness; he still means business.

“I’ve had a really good foundation – this is my third year on the executive board, I’ve started on the student government executive board since I was a freshman.”

Because of this, Johnston says, “I’ve been able to build a lot of good administrative relationships and being president is all about the trust and experience that comes with those types of relationships.”

Johnston is a 22-year-old senior majoring in engineering.

He is also pre-med and plans on venturing to the Peace Corps after he finishes up with his schooling.

He listens to country music, especially Tim Mcgraw, and his favorite movie is A River Runs Through it, starring Robert Redford and Brad Pitt.

When he’s not catching a movie you can probably find him at the beach or at one of UM’s sporting events.

“I love sports, every single sporting event – I try not to miss any,” Johnston said.

With all these activities Johnston attends to, one may wonder when he accomplishes any schoolwork or his newfound Student Government responsibilities. But Johnston has got this covered too.

“I’ve learned to balance work and play,” Johnston says, “There are some times when I have to stay focused on my studies and responsibilities but being an executive officer in my fraternity, I’ve learned to budget my time and money.”

Johnston attributes much of his development and maturity as an individual to his fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha.

“Pi Kappa Alpha has been the biggest leadership experience for me. Going Greek has forced me to mature,” he said.

Yet while holding a prestigious title in his fraternity and a large background in leadership experiences, Johnston prides himself on being the same person he was before becoming Student Government President.

“One thing I pride myself on is I don’t ever try to flaunt my titles-I work for people and not titles. It doesn’t take a title to change things-it takes a strong ambition and a good personality.”

President-elect Johnston presents himself as a humble, outgoing, and laid back character who loves country music and an occasional party.

However, Johnston also emphasizes that he’s here to serve the student body. “There are a lot of people who are older than me, who make more money than me, but we’re still the same at UM – I’m here to work for everyone.”

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...