Rowing finishes sixth at Big East Finals

The University of Miami women’s rowing finished sixth overall at the Big East Women’s Rowing Challenge on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.

Miami’s varsity eight qualified for the Petite Final, where it finished first with a time of 7:08.21, ahead of Connecticut (7:09.44) and Georgetown (7:29.14). Syracuse placed first in the Grand Final, ahead of Notre Dame (+6.07), Boston College (+13.95), Villanova (+14.83), Rutgers (+28.08) and West Virginia (+29.06).

The varsity eight consisted of Jenny Lee (coxswain), Jenny Krawec, Anna Cohen, Marijka VanderPol, Jacqui Julien, Jordanna Heywood, Monika Manios, Mandy Turner and Ananda Chou.

UM’s JV eight placed fourth in the Grand Final (7:24.68), behind Syracuse (7:04.15), Notre Dame (7:04.70) and Boston College (7:21.95). UM placed ahead of Connecticut (7:33.72) and Georgetown (7:35.22). The JV eight featured Meg Venezia (coxswain), Kate Weeden, Caroline Stuart, Julie Crane, Alli Nelson, Maggie Knuth, Yassi Hairinia, Sara Grossman and Yennisha Pino.

The varsity four finished seventh in the Grand Final with a time of 8:02.12. Notre Dame “A” won the race (7:27.40). The varsity four was April Runkle (coxswain), Laraine Martin, Melissa Saunders, Rachel Sander and Dorothy Clay.

The novice eight finished sixth in the Grand Final with a time of 8:09.31. Syracuse won the novice eight race with a time of 7:16.83. The novice eight consisted of Maureen Haley (coxswain), Ericka Miller, Tyler McHugh-Merrill, Patrice Wakeley, Michelle Owens, Liz Miller, Jo Manula, Deirdre Curran and Mary Radlinski.

The novice four finished fourth in the Grand Final with a time of 8:49.21. Syracuse won the novice four race with a time of 8:21.00. The novice four was Dana Litt (coxswain), Harlee Bustamante, May Lauron, Alana Smith and Makana Tocman.

– The University of Miami Novice Women’s Rowing Program will hold its first information meeting on Friday, Aug. 30, in the Hecht Athletic Center at 5821 San Amaro Drive.

Additionally, there will be a Novice Women’s Rowing information table set up in the front of the University Center between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., Aug. 25-28.

For further information on the University of Miami’s Novice women’s rowing program contact Elizabeth Payer at the rowing offices at 305-284-3211 on campus and 305-861-1295 at the Ron Shane Watersports Center/Boathouse. Coach Payer can also be reached at epayer@miami.edu.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...