Rowing finishes sixth at Big East Finals

The University of Miami women’s rowing finished sixth overall at the Big East Women’s Rowing Challenge on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.

Miami’s varsity eight qualified for the Petite Final, where it finished first with a time of 7:08.21, ahead of Connecticut (7:09.44) and Georgetown (7:29.14). Syracuse placed first in the Grand Final, ahead of Notre Dame (+6.07), Boston College (+13.95), Villanova (+14.83), Rutgers (+28.08) and West Virginia (+29.06).

The varsity eight consisted of Jenny Lee (coxswain), Jenny Krawec, Anna Cohen, Marijka VanderPol, Jacqui Julien, Jordanna Heywood, Monika Manios, Mandy Turner and Ananda Chou.

UM’s JV eight placed fourth in the Grand Final (7:24.68), behind Syracuse (7:04.15), Notre Dame (7:04.70) and Boston College (7:21.95). UM placed ahead of Connecticut (7:33.72) and Georgetown (7:35.22). The JV eight featured Meg Venezia (coxswain), Kate Weeden, Caroline Stuart, Julie Crane, Alli Nelson, Maggie Knuth, Yassi Hairinia, Sara Grossman and Yennisha Pino.

The varsity four finished seventh in the Grand Final with a time of 8:02.12. Notre Dame “A” won the race (7:27.40). The varsity four was April Runkle (coxswain), Laraine Martin, Melissa Saunders, Rachel Sander and Dorothy Clay.

The novice eight finished sixth in the Grand Final with a time of 8:09.31. Syracuse won the novice eight race with a time of 7:16.83. The novice eight consisted of Maureen Haley (coxswain), Ericka Miller, Tyler McHugh-Merrill, Patrice Wakeley, Michelle Owens, Liz Miller, Jo Manula, Deirdre Curran and Mary Radlinski.

The novice four finished fourth in the Grand Final with a time of 8:49.21. Syracuse won the novice four race with a time of 8:21.00. The novice four was Dana Litt (coxswain), Harlee Bustamante, May Lauron, Alana Smith and Makana Tocman.

– The University of Miami Novice Women’s Rowing Program will hold its first information meeting on Friday, Aug. 30, in the Hecht Athletic Center at 5821 San Amaro Drive.

Additionally, there will be a Novice Women’s Rowing information table set up in the front of the University Center between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., Aug. 25-28.

For further information on the University of Miami’s Novice women’s rowing program contact Elizabeth Payer at the rowing offices at 305-284-3211 on campus and 305-861-1295 at the Ron Shane Watersports Center/Boathouse. Coach Payer can also be reached at epayer@miami.edu.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...