Rowing finishes sixth at Big East Finals

The University of Miami women’s rowing finished sixth overall at the Big East Women’s Rowing Challenge on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.

Miami’s varsity eight qualified for the Petite Final, where it finished first with a time of 7:08.21, ahead of Connecticut (7:09.44) and Georgetown (7:29.14). Syracuse placed first in the Grand Final, ahead of Notre Dame (+6.07), Boston College (+13.95), Villanova (+14.83), Rutgers (+28.08) and West Virginia (+29.06).

The varsity eight consisted of Jenny Lee (coxswain), Jenny Krawec, Anna Cohen, Marijka VanderPol, Jacqui Julien, Jordanna Heywood, Monika Manios, Mandy Turner and Ananda Chou.

UM’s JV eight placed fourth in the Grand Final (7:24.68), behind Syracuse (7:04.15), Notre Dame (7:04.70) and Boston College (7:21.95). UM placed ahead of Connecticut (7:33.72) and Georgetown (7:35.22). The JV eight featured Meg Venezia (coxswain), Kate Weeden, Caroline Stuart, Julie Crane, Alli Nelson, Maggie Knuth, Yassi Hairinia, Sara Grossman and Yennisha Pino.

The varsity four finished seventh in the Grand Final with a time of 8:02.12. Notre Dame “A” won the race (7:27.40). The varsity four was April Runkle (coxswain), Laraine Martin, Melissa Saunders, Rachel Sander and Dorothy Clay.

The novice eight finished sixth in the Grand Final with a time of 8:09.31. Syracuse won the novice eight race with a time of 7:16.83. The novice eight consisted of Maureen Haley (coxswain), Ericka Miller, Tyler McHugh-Merrill, Patrice Wakeley, Michelle Owens, Liz Miller, Jo Manula, Deirdre Curran and Mary Radlinski.

The novice four finished fourth in the Grand Final with a time of 8:49.21. Syracuse won the novice four race with a time of 8:21.00. The novice four was Dana Litt (coxswain), Harlee Bustamante, May Lauron, Alana Smith and Makana Tocman.

– The University of Miami Novice Women’s Rowing Program will hold its first information meeting on Friday, Aug. 30, in the Hecht Athletic Center at 5821 San Amaro Drive.

Additionally, there will be a Novice Women’s Rowing information table set up in the front of the University Center between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., Aug. 25-28.

For further information on the University of Miami’s Novice women’s rowing program contact Elizabeth Payer at the rowing offices at 305-284-3211 on campus and 305-861-1295 at the Ron Shane Watersports Center/Boathouse. Coach Payer can also be reached at epayer@miami.edu.

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

It started as a large, plain white wall. It's become a conversation piece. ...

The Hurricanes continue their non-conference homestand on Sunday, November 17 when they host the IUP ...

Miami volleyball forced its third straight five-set match on Friday against NC State, but fell short ...

Dylan Sykes and Emma Langlois, leaders of the Miami cross county program, concluded the 2019 season ...

Following a win in its first road game of the season, the Miami men's basketball team will resu ...