Religious life supported at UM

The University of Miami has several different religious associations on campus, Catholic, Hillel Jewish Student Center, Chi Alpha Religion Ministry, Baptist Student Union, The Wesley Foundation, and the Episcopal Church Center.

These facilities are open to all students, and each denomination has trained clergy or lay workers that are prepared to meet college students’ needs. These centers are available for all students. The Chaplains are involved with the institution, and highly educated with the resources the university has to offer.

“Certainly, all the Services are available for the students at UM,” says Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia A. Whitely.

These centers currently provide for the entire student population at the University of Miami. However, this year, the university has announced Dell McIntosh as Chair of the Chaplains Association, who will be succeeding Rev. Joe Lortie.

However, there are new religious projects on the rise at the University of Miami. There is currently a large Islamic Community at the university, and Dr. Whitely is looking out for everyone’s needs.

“I am working with the Islamic Community to develop a plan, and secure the ability to provide an Islamic Center on campus,” says Whitely.

The Islamic Student Center has plans for construction within the next two years, and is incorporated into the University of Miami Master Plan.

If you have any questions, please call 305- 742-5442.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...