Religious life supported at UM

The University of Miami has several different religious associations on campus, Catholic, Hillel Jewish Student Center, Chi Alpha Religion Ministry, Baptist Student Union, The Wesley Foundation, and the Episcopal Church Center.

These facilities are open to all students, and each denomination has trained clergy or lay workers that are prepared to meet college students’ needs. These centers are available for all students. The Chaplains are involved with the institution, and highly educated with the resources the university has to offer.

“Certainly, all the Services are available for the students at UM,” says Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia A. Whitely.

These centers currently provide for the entire student population at the University of Miami. However, this year, the university has announced Dell McIntosh as Chair of the Chaplains Association, who will be succeeding Rev. Joe Lortie.

However, there are new religious projects on the rise at the University of Miami. There is currently a large Islamic Community at the university, and Dr. Whitely is looking out for everyone’s needs.

“I am working with the Islamic Community to develop a plan, and secure the ability to provide an Islamic Center on campus,” says Whitely.

The Islamic Student Center has plans for construction within the next two years, and is incorporated into the University of Miami Master Plan.

If you have any questions, please call 305- 742-5442.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...