Jorge Duyos to teach engineering

The Industrial Engineering Department is one of the newest in the School of Engineering. Still, that is where you will find veteran Professor Jorge Duyos teaching IEN 301, Methods Analysis.

This year, Florida Governor Jeb Bush appointed Duyos to Florida Board of Professional Engineers. The Florida Board of Professional Engineers was established under chapter 471 of the Florida Statutes, and is composed of nine members, seven of whom are licensed engineers, and two who have never affiliated with the engineering profession.

The board is responsible for many different areas with engineering. They are the supervisors of the 28,000 licensed engineers in Florida. The approve people to take the licensing exam, which all engineers must pass to practice. This board is also in charge of all discipline hearings.

Out of the seven licensed engineers, three must be civil engineers, one must be an electrical engineer, one must be mechanical, one must be in any form of engineering other than civil, and one must be in engineering education.

Duyos fills the education slot. Duyos has many ideas for his upcoming four-year position. First he would like all students who graduate from a Florida school to take the fundamental engineering exam. He also would like to promote industrial engineering. “I want to create a position of the board for an industrial engineer,” remarked Duyos.

He also wants to improve the teaching of engineering in all Florida schools. Currently, an engineering professor does not have to be a licensed engineer to teach in Florida. Duyos wants to make it mandatory for all engineering professors be licensed engineers before they can teach.

Duyos also relishes his role as an alumnus of the University of Miami. He was an Industrial Engineering student here in the mid 1980s. He not only was he a stellar student, but was very active in campus life.

Jorge Duyos is a proud brother of the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, pledging his first year on campus. He received the Marcel Shaps Award, a specialized Industrial Engineering award. Jorge Duyos was also active in Student Government as the School of Engineering senator. He also was initiated into Omicron Delta Kappa, the highest national leadership honor society, as well as Iron Arrow, the highest honor at the University of Miami.

If anyone is interested in the Industrial Engineering Program, call 305-284-2367.

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...