Jorge Duyos to teach engineering

The Industrial Engineering Department is one of the newest in the School of Engineering. Still, that is where you will find veteran Professor Jorge Duyos teaching IEN 301, Methods Analysis.

This year, Florida Governor Jeb Bush appointed Duyos to Florida Board of Professional Engineers. The Florida Board of Professional Engineers was established under chapter 471 of the Florida Statutes, and is composed of nine members, seven of whom are licensed engineers, and two who have never affiliated with the engineering profession.

The board is responsible for many different areas with engineering. They are the supervisors of the 28,000 licensed engineers in Florida. The approve people to take the licensing exam, which all engineers must pass to practice. This board is also in charge of all discipline hearings.

Out of the seven licensed engineers, three must be civil engineers, one must be an electrical engineer, one must be mechanical, one must be in any form of engineering other than civil, and one must be in engineering education.

Duyos fills the education slot. Duyos has many ideas for his upcoming four-year position. First he would like all students who graduate from a Florida school to take the fundamental engineering exam. He also would like to promote industrial engineering. “I want to create a position of the board for an industrial engineer,” remarked Duyos.

He also wants to improve the teaching of engineering in all Florida schools. Currently, an engineering professor does not have to be a licensed engineer to teach in Florida. Duyos wants to make it mandatory for all engineering professors be licensed engineers before they can teach.

Duyos also relishes his role as an alumnus of the University of Miami. He was an Industrial Engineering student here in the mid 1980s. He not only was he a stellar student, but was very active in campus life.

Jorge Duyos is a proud brother of the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, pledging his first year on campus. He received the Marcel Shaps Award, a specialized Industrial Engineering award. Jorge Duyos was also active in Student Government as the School of Engineering senator. He also was initiated into Omicron Delta Kappa, the highest national leadership honor society, as well as Iron Arrow, the highest honor at the University of Miami.

If anyone is interested in the Industrial Engineering Program, call 305-284-2367.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...