Jorge Duyos to teach engineering

The Industrial Engineering Department is one of the newest in the School of Engineering. Still, that is where you will find veteran Professor Jorge Duyos teaching IEN 301, Methods Analysis.

This year, Florida Governor Jeb Bush appointed Duyos to Florida Board of Professional Engineers. The Florida Board of Professional Engineers was established under chapter 471 of the Florida Statutes, and is composed of nine members, seven of whom are licensed engineers, and two who have never affiliated with the engineering profession.

The board is responsible for many different areas with engineering. They are the supervisors of the 28,000 licensed engineers in Florida. The approve people to take the licensing exam, which all engineers must pass to practice. This board is also in charge of all discipline hearings.

Out of the seven licensed engineers, three must be civil engineers, one must be an electrical engineer, one must be mechanical, one must be in any form of engineering other than civil, and one must be in engineering education.

Duyos fills the education slot. Duyos has many ideas for his upcoming four-year position. First he would like all students who graduate from a Florida school to take the fundamental engineering exam. He also would like to promote industrial engineering. “I want to create a position of the board for an industrial engineer,” remarked Duyos.

He also wants to improve the teaching of engineering in all Florida schools. Currently, an engineering professor does not have to be a licensed engineer to teach in Florida. Duyos wants to make it mandatory for all engineering professors be licensed engineers before they can teach.

Duyos also relishes his role as an alumnus of the University of Miami. He was an Industrial Engineering student here in the mid 1980s. He not only was he a stellar student, but was very active in campus life.

Jorge Duyos is a proud brother of the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, pledging his first year on campus. He received the Marcel Shaps Award, a specialized Industrial Engineering award. Jorge Duyos was also active in Student Government as the School of Engineering senator. He also was initiated into Omicron Delta Kappa, the highest national leadership honor society, as well as Iron Arrow, the highest honor at the University of Miami.

If anyone is interested in the Industrial Engineering Program, call 305-284-2367.

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...