Hurricane Productions promises great shows to come

When most people read the abbreviation HP, they think Hewlett Packard, a renowned organization. However, HP at the University of Miami has a different meaning. In Canes Town, HP is the renowned Hurricane Productions.

Hurricane Productions is an organization that produces many of the major events on the University of Miami campus. Hurricane Productions programs major concerts, movies at the Cosford Cinema, and recreational events on campus. Last year, Hurricane Productions brought Ludacris to campus. The rain was poring, but yet, there was an attendance of over 4,000 people.

“It was a great concert,” remarked Junior Jon Duerr.

The University of Miami’s theater is located on the second floor of the Memorial Building. The Bill Cosford Theater hosts many movies, with a couple sneak previews during the year. However, seating is limited, so people must grab tickets in advance in the HP office.

A big advocate of keeping students on campus by increasing programming is President Donna Shalala. Last year, President Shalala allocated money towards a pilot-programming project. The money was allocated to Student Activities to increase the amount of programs on campus. Since last year programs were such a success, President Shalala decided to increase funding for the upcoming year.

“Last year, we had late night programs, bands, movies, comedy shows, Jazz Nights at the Rat, and many other programs,” remarked Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Patricia A. Whitely.

This year, Hurricane Productions has created a new branch to their organization, Canes Night Live (CNL). Canes Night Live is a subdivision of HP, whose focus is to organize great late night programs.

“This year, an additional $70,000 was given to specifically for late night programming,” said Whitely.

Hurricane Productions is a great way to get involved on campus. Not only is it a great extracurricular activity, it is a great entrance into the entertainment world. The student members of HP are the people who organize bands and concerts, negotiate contracts, and manage all publicity. So, if any students are interested in this area, it is an opportunity that should not be overlooked.

If you are interested in Hurricane Productions, or would like to see upcomming events, visit the website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/hp.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...