Honor Council aims to maintain diploma’s value

What organization has 22 members? What organization was formed as a result of a Student Government initiation in 1986, and the revised in 1991? What organization is dubbed with the role to educate the students of the University of Miami, and keep the values of their diploma high? That’s right! The University of Miami Honor Council is the answer to those questions.

Those questions are questions every university student can hear on the UC Patio during Academic Integrity Week. Academic Integrity Week is a weeklong program hosted by the Honor Council, to educate everyone at UM about cheating, and what can occur because of it.

“The purpose of the Undergraduate Honor Council at the University of Miami is to educate students about academic honesty and to investigate and adjudicate cases of those students who chose to violate the Undergraduate Honor Code,” said Becky Quarles, President of the Honor Council.

The Honor Council has a very difficult job because they are in charge of maintaining the worth of a diploma. When someone cheats on a test, or plagiarizes a report, it lowers the value of every student’s diploma.

“We [Honor Council] maintain the integrity of our diploma,” says Quarles. “The group of students on the Honor Council are about maintaining the value of the diplomas for every student.”

Cheating is definitely a progressive problem, meaning a majority of people who cheat in college, have cheated in high school and before. However, most students do not realize the punishment of cheating is much more than a slap on the wrist, or a 0 on the exam. At the University of Miami, punishments range from a disciplinary warning, to academic probation, to expulsion from the university.

“At the University of Miami, we enforce a university-wide honor code that encourages every member of the university community to report acts of academic dishonesty to the University of Miami Honor Council,” exclaims Quarles.

However, the type of cheating that has been reportedly on the rise is plagiarism. Plagiarism, by definition, means takings someone’s words or ideas as if they were your own. However, many times plagiarism occurs because students are not properly educated on how to site sources.

All students who are charged with cheating are adjudicated by their peers. A board called the Selections and Appeals Board chooses the Honor Councils’ members. The board is made up of The Vice President for Student Affairs, the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs, and the Student Government President.

Dr. Patricia A. Whitely, Vice President for Student Affairs, is the Chair of the Selections and Appeals Board. The Honor Council has student from every class setting, and every academic college. Each member is asked to go through a rigorous interview process.

“We are looking for interested freshman, who are students with high integrity,” responds Whitely.

Gary Kausmeyer, Honor Council President Emeritus recollects why he joined the honor council. “I felt I could make a difference, and I had a desire to serve in the enforcement capacity,” replied Kausmeyer.

President Quarles has many great ideas for the upcoming year.

“I think she [President Quarles] is going be awesome. She is a person of great character and leadership necessary to lead the honor council,” exclaims Whitely.

If you are interest in the Honor Council, visit www.miami.edu/honor-council or cal 305-284-5354.

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

It’s a rule Miami Hurricanes freshman defensive tackle Nesta Silvera knew about already. But in no w ...

A quick update from University of Miami football practice No. 8, two days after the first fall scrim ...

That dangerous University of Miami defense that dominated last season? Still dominating — the first- ...

Please don’t call DeeJay Dallas a running back. On second thought, you can call him a running back, ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...