‘Homesick patrol’ stops freshmen from leaving

Going to college is by far one of the most exciting times in the lives of those privileged enough to have the opportunity. Sometimes the summer separating a student’s senior year of high school from the first semester as a college freshmen can seem like an eternity. Excitement builds; the shopping for college is finally done; mail registration for first semester courses is executed flawlessly; and new addresses, phone numbers and emails are exchanged among the old high school clique.

The first weeks on campus are a blur of Orientation, finding the right classrooms, navigating the bookstore, tying up loose ends in Financial Aid and Student Accounts, checking in with parents, making new friends and, yes, even the ceremonial first trip to the laundry room. Sometimes this blur is easier for some students to navigate than for others. Some students seem to be able to figure everything out, and find that they do not feel homesick for a moment.

For others the blur of the transition to college can last a semester- or longer.

“If a student finds that he or she is having a hard time adjusting to life at the University of Miami, to the point where he or she may be thing about going home, we are here to help,” said Catherine Long, a Retention Advisor in the Office of the Dean of Enrollments.

“Among our many duties, we work with students who encounter difficulties understanding the way things work at the University of Miami and do not know where to turn for help, to those who express a desire to leave. I guess you can consider us a resource for students who need help adjusting to life at UM, the ‘homesick patrol.'”

Mary June So, also a Retention Advisor agreed, “Not only do we try to help students one-on-one who are having difficulty making the transition to college life,” she said, “but we also spend a good amount of time bringing members of the University of Miami community together to put on programs for students such as Pathways to Achieving Student Success [PASS] Week, which occurs during the first semester for all students who wish to get assistance in specific areas they are having trouble with, from finances and writing a good paper, to selecting a major or finding an internship.”

“Not too long ago, I was a freshman on this campus,” said Long. “Wow, what a difference stuff like this would have made in helping me to make the transition to college life and understand this place that I absolutely love!”

“Students should know that our doors, inboxes and phone lines are always open,” said So.

Mary June So can be reached at (305)284-5456 or mso@miami.edu, and Catherine Long can be reached at (305)284-6804 or clong@miami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...