Greek life leads to lifelong friends

If the words Fraternity, Sorority, or Greek Life were mentioned in the 60’s or 70’s, people would commonly associate them with keg parties, skipping class and the socially elite. However, as college campuses nationwide have changed, so have the roles of fraternities and sororities on every campus.

Fraternities and sororities may have, at one time, directed all their time to wild keg parties and late night escapades, but no more. Fraternities and sororities have refocused their time and energy back to the convictions of brotherhood/sisterhood, scholarship, athletics and success. ” I am a proud member of my fraternity, and I feel strongly that the Greek community is one of the best experiences you may have at the University of Miami,” said Student Body President Emeritus Jose “Pepi” Diaz. “Being a fraternity man has given me the opportunities to succeed to the level I have today.”

The University of Miami has an outstanding Greek community that excels in all areas of campus life. The Student Government president and vice president are Greek. Greek members hold approximately 85% of all leadership positions at the University of Miami. There are also many prominent administrators who are Greek; Provost Luis Glazer, Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia A. Whitely, Dean of Students William Sandler, and Gregory R. Singleton, Associate Dean of Students and Greek Life Advisor. Greek life encompasses all facets of the University experience, and joining a fraternity or sorority is an unforgettable experience.

During the academic year, you will see many Greek organizations all over campus. In the fall, fraternities and sororities competing to win Homecoming. In the spring, Greek Week is hosted and all organizations compete to raise money for a designated philanthropy. Last year, the Greek community raised almost $10,000 for United Cerebral Palsy and donated more than 900 pints of blood. There will be times where fraternities and sororities will hold individual competitions to raise money for their individual philanthropies. Long lasting memories arise every year from Delta Phi Epsilon’s Deepher Dudes, or Lambda Chi Alpha’s Watermelon Bust, just to name a few.

When you join organizations that are not Greek, your membership last until the day of your graduation. However, when you join a Greek organization, your membership lasts forever. Fraternities and sororities are organizations every person can stay involved in after you graduate. Also, since alumni are so active, it is easy to connect with alumni who are experts in their field of study. Many times alumni of fraternities are able to write reference letters, give internships, or help get members jobs after college. The opportunities are endless.

Recruitment [rush]will begin as soon as school begins. Fraternity and sorority recruitment is very different. During the summer, each new student will get a mailing that he/she can send in to register for fall recruitment. However, registering for recruitment in no way obligates you to join a fraternity or sorority. Recruitment is organized so all new and returning students can meet all the fraternities and sororities. With last years 550 students who signed up for recruitment, there was no problem for new students to make new friends.

Fraternity and sorority membership will last after college, and the friendships will last a lifetime. The opportunities that arise from being Greek are incredible, and every new student should experience them.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...