GLBC supports UM

Since its inception in 1991, the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Community (GLBC) at the University of Miami has been meeting the needs of the entire University community with services, education and support. Everyone is welcome – gay, straight, or bisexual.

The GLBC plays an integral role in student life, offering programs on diversity, health topics, legal issues and social issues unique to the gay community. Additionally, several social events including gay bowling, gay skate, and Will and Grace night, to name a few, are a popular draw for UM students.

The GLBC shares a positive and supportive relationship with other student organizations including Student Government, United Black Students, fraternities and sororities and several of the religious groups on campus, and co-programs with these groups on a regular basis.

One of the traditional activities is the annual Coming Out Week, held the second week of October. Activities include Opening Ceremony and Concert, speaker series, and the Stop the Hate Matthew Shepard Memorial candlelight vigil. The vigil is co-sponsored with several organizations and attendance is as diverse as the campus itself.

Diversity and sensitivity trainings are offered to students, faculty and staff to increase awareness of issues gay students face and to increase the support and ally network. Involvement in local political and social activities are also a part of the GLBC efforts.

The GLBC Resource Center and the Confidential Support Group offer information, resources and confidential support for gay students on campus. The support group is facilitated by a staff member from the Counseling Center on campus.

The confidentiality of all members of the group is of the utmost importance. Not all students are comfortable with others knowing of their sexual orientation and that is constantly stressed in all of the meetings.

The GLBC meets on Thursday evenings at 8 p.m. in the University Center (UC), 2nd floor. Room locations are posted on the GLBC office door, UC 244. For more information, please call 305-284-5520 or email us at glbc.studorg@miami.edu or check out our website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/glbc . Look for us at Cane Fest and during New Student Orientation (www.miami.edu/orientation). We are here for you – whether you come to the meetings or not – you are not alone at the University of Miami.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...