GLBC supports UM

Since its inception in 1991, the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Community (GLBC) at the University of Miami has been meeting the needs of the entire University community with services, education and support. Everyone is welcome – gay, straight, or bisexual.

The GLBC plays an integral role in student life, offering programs on diversity, health topics, legal issues and social issues unique to the gay community. Additionally, several social events including gay bowling, gay skate, and Will and Grace night, to name a few, are a popular draw for UM students.

The GLBC shares a positive and supportive relationship with other student organizations including Student Government, United Black Students, fraternities and sororities and several of the religious groups on campus, and co-programs with these groups on a regular basis.

One of the traditional activities is the annual Coming Out Week, held the second week of October. Activities include Opening Ceremony and Concert, speaker series, and the Stop the Hate Matthew Shepard Memorial candlelight vigil. The vigil is co-sponsored with several organizations and attendance is as diverse as the campus itself.

Diversity and sensitivity trainings are offered to students, faculty and staff to increase awareness of issues gay students face and to increase the support and ally network. Involvement in local political and social activities are also a part of the GLBC efforts.

The GLBC Resource Center and the Confidential Support Group offer information, resources and confidential support for gay students on campus. The support group is facilitated by a staff member from the Counseling Center on campus.

The confidentiality of all members of the group is of the utmost importance. Not all students are comfortable with others knowing of their sexual orientation and that is constantly stressed in all of the meetings.

The GLBC meets on Thursday evenings at 8 p.m. in the University Center (UC), 2nd floor. Room locations are posted on the GLBC office door, UC 244. For more information, please call 305-284-5520 or email us at glbc.studorg@miami.edu or check out our website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/glbc . Look for us at Cane Fest and during New Student Orientation (www.miami.edu/orientation). We are here for you – whether you come to the meetings or not – you are not alone at the University of Miami.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...