GLBC supports UM

Since its inception in 1991, the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Community (GLBC) at the University of Miami has been meeting the needs of the entire University community with services, education and support. Everyone is welcome – gay, straight, or bisexual.

The GLBC plays an integral role in student life, offering programs on diversity, health topics, legal issues and social issues unique to the gay community. Additionally, several social events including gay bowling, gay skate, and Will and Grace night, to name a few, are a popular draw for UM students.

The GLBC shares a positive and supportive relationship with other student organizations including Student Government, United Black Students, fraternities and sororities and several of the religious groups on campus, and co-programs with these groups on a regular basis.

One of the traditional activities is the annual Coming Out Week, held the second week of October. Activities include Opening Ceremony and Concert, speaker series, and the Stop the Hate Matthew Shepard Memorial candlelight vigil. The vigil is co-sponsored with several organizations and attendance is as diverse as the campus itself.

Diversity and sensitivity trainings are offered to students, faculty and staff to increase awareness of issues gay students face and to increase the support and ally network. Involvement in local political and social activities are also a part of the GLBC efforts.

The GLBC Resource Center and the Confidential Support Group offer information, resources and confidential support for gay students on campus. The support group is facilitated by a staff member from the Counseling Center on campus.

The confidentiality of all members of the group is of the utmost importance. Not all students are comfortable with others knowing of their sexual orientation and that is constantly stressed in all of the meetings.

The GLBC meets on Thursday evenings at 8 p.m. in the University Center (UC), 2nd floor. Room locations are posted on the GLBC office door, UC 244. For more information, please call 305-284-5520 or email us at glbc.studorg@miami.edu or check out our website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/glbc . Look for us at Cane Fest and during New Student Orientation (www.miami.edu/orientation). We are here for you – whether you come to the meetings or not – you are not alone at the University of Miami.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...