Finding the Way: The Orientation Program at UM

Special to the Miami Hurricane
from the Department of Orientation
August 24, 2002 – Coral Gables, FL
Where do I register for classes? How do I get an ID card? Where are the classrooms? Where’s the Student Union? Ahhh!!!

The first few days of college can take their toll on any new student. But it doesn’t have to be that way. The University of Miami’s Department of Orientation helps you, our brand new Hurricanes, to an easy and smooth transition into college life.

The Orientation staff spends a year working to make it the best orientation program for our new students. Part of the new improvements include a larger staff; there are over 200 orientation assistants alone! New students are able to check-in earlier at the Residence Halls so that they have more time for Orientation; you can begin checking-in on Friday, August 23. Consult the Department of Residence Halls for the exact time at which you can check-in. There is also a central check-in location for Orientation check-in on Saturday, August 24.

Two professional staff members lead the Orientation staff. Tricia Shatley is the Director of Orientation and Webb Morgan is the Assistant Director of Orientation. Even though there are administrators overseeing the program, students are the ones in charge of making the program, selecting a staff and making sure that our new students are having a great time. There are three student Program Coordinators who decide on the schedule, find sponsorship and decide on the theme. Next in line are the Orientation Coordinators. The Orientation Coordinators have one of the most important tasks on our staff. In addition to selecting the Orientation Assistants, they are also in charge of keeping the staff motivated and making sure that the sessions are going well. Finally, there are the Orientation Assistants, OA’s for short. They have the single most important job on staff; making you, our new students, feel at home.
You should have already received information about Orientation in the mail. You should have also received information about the Parents Orientation Program. The sessions will be tailored specifically for parents so that all there questions may be answered.

For the most recent updates, please log on to the Orientation website at www.miami.edu/orientation. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at orientation@miami.edu or call us at 305-284-5646. We hope to see all of you at Orientation, beginning on August 24 and ending on August 27, just in time for the first day of classes. Don’t forget, no matter where you’re from, “All Roads Lead to U!”

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

It’s a rule Miami Hurricanes freshman defensive tackle Nesta Silvera knew about already. But in no w ...

A quick update from University of Miami football practice No. 8, two days after the first fall scrim ...

That dangerous University of Miami defense that dominated last season? Still dominating — the first- ...

Please don’t call DeeJay Dallas a running back. On second thought, you can call him a running back, ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...