Debate team open to everyone

Having received a number of awards at a recent intercollegiate debate competition at Chicago’s Loyola University, the UM Debate Team has firmly established itself as one of the leading teams in the country.

According to the debate team’s mission statement, “Debaters should learn to demonstrate discipline, maturity, responsibility, and professionalism.” Even though such traits are expected of debate team participants, the organization is open to any qualified, full-time, undergraduate student.

As an added bonus, skills are cultivated in both public speaking and communication, “This is not an athletic team; it is an educational program and it is open to everyone,” says Mr. David Steinberg, debate team advisor. “Not only is it a fun thing to do, but it is a terrific networking and learning experience. It will help with every profession. Debate alumni lead the world in law, politics, education, and business,” says Steinberg.

Throughout the year the debate team travels to many tournaments around the nation, including the Southeast Region Championship at Georgia State University and the Cross Examination Debate Association National Championship at California State University. For more information, please contact Mr. Steinberg at dave@miami.edu or (305) 284-5553.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...