Debate team open to everyone

Having received a number of awards at a recent intercollegiate debate competition at Chicago’s Loyola University, the UM Debate Team has firmly established itself as one of the leading teams in the country.

According to the debate team’s mission statement, “Debaters should learn to demonstrate discipline, maturity, responsibility, and professionalism.” Even though such traits are expected of debate team participants, the organization is open to any qualified, full-time, undergraduate student.

As an added bonus, skills are cultivated in both public speaking and communication, “This is not an athletic team; it is an educational program and it is open to everyone,” says Mr. David Steinberg, debate team advisor. “Not only is it a fun thing to do, but it is a terrific networking and learning experience. It will help with every profession. Debate alumni lead the world in law, politics, education, and business,” says Steinberg.

Throughout the year the debate team travels to many tournaments around the nation, including the Southeast Region Championship at Georgia State University and the Cross Examination Debate Association National Championship at California State University. For more information, please contact Mr. Steinberg at dave@miami.edu or (305) 284-5553.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...