Debate team open to everyone

Having received a number of awards at a recent intercollegiate debate competition at Chicago’s Loyola University, the UM Debate Team has firmly established itself as one of the leading teams in the country.

According to the debate team’s mission statement, “Debaters should learn to demonstrate discipline, maturity, responsibility, and professionalism.” Even though such traits are expected of debate team participants, the organization is open to any qualified, full-time, undergraduate student.

As an added bonus, skills are cultivated in both public speaking and communication, “This is not an athletic team; it is an educational program and it is open to everyone,” says Mr. David Steinberg, debate team advisor. “Not only is it a fun thing to do, but it is a terrific networking and learning experience. It will help with every profession. Debate alumni lead the world in law, politics, education, and business,” says Steinberg.

Throughout the year the debate team travels to many tournaments around the nation, including the Southeast Region Championship at Georgia State University and the Cross Examination Debate Association National Championship at California State University. For more information, please contact Mr. Steinberg at dave@miami.edu or (305) 284-5553.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...