Convocation Center to open in 2003

It was April 4, 2001, and hundreds of people gathered at what is one of the University of Miami’s most historical events – the groundbreaking of the University of Miami Convocation Center and the home to the ‘Canes basketball teams.

“When I was a freshman, I heard rumors of the Convocation Center. I was excited when I was able to sit on stage at its groundbreaking,” said Student Government President Jose “Pepi” Diaz.

The Convocation Center used to be called the Ryder Center. However, last year they pulled their name from the project.

“Ryder’s business interest has changed a little, but they still gave us the money,” said Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia A. Whitely.

President Donna Shalala is already looking to rename the complex

The Convocation center currently has 1000 student seats available, for an 8,000-person undergraduate student body. This may prove to be a problem at first; however, the university is already addressing the situation.

“Currently we have 1000 student seats, and hopefully more if we can get Coral Gables approval,” said Whitely. “Richard Walker [Director of Student Life and The University Center] has a board put together of students, who will make a recommendation on how to distribute the tickets.”

The Convocation Center is going to be hosting much more than just sporting events. Its design is also able to open options to hold many cultural programs and educational activities for the university and the Coral Gables Community.

Global Spectrum has been hired by the university to host the events. The University of Miami has been approved by Coral Gables to host approximately 80-85 events per year. So, in the future, the university plans to have many activities and concerts there to increase student life.

“The Convocation Center will greatly improve student life,” said Whitely. “It is the most important thing that will impact the student experience since the building of the Wellness Center in 1996.”

The Convocation Center will open January 4, 2003.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...