Commuter students find a haven

After back-to-back lectures, or during long stretches between classes, students who live in the University of Miami dormitories can go to their rooms to seek sanctuary from the daily stresses of student life. Students who live off-campus go to the office of the Association of Commuter Students.

The word “office” hardly sounds like a sanctuary, but it is actually similar to a lounge.

The ACS office is located in the Whitten University Center in Room 236. It’s decorated with pictures of past ACS events. There are several couches, a TV/VCR, a video-library and several trophies for commuter students’ achievements in community service and intramural sports. A refrigerator is stocked with goodies for all ACS members.

“It’s like our home, some people even sleep here,” says audio-engineering student Miriam Cortez, who joined ACS last year as a freshman.

The Department of Commuter Students Affairs provides a variety of services and programs through ACS intended for to help students who live off campus become involved with university activities and make campus life more enjoyable and convenient.

In July, ACS sponsors Great Start, a pre-orientation program for incoming commuter freshman to help them get the feel of the campus during the calm of the summer sessions.

Once fall semester begins, ACS hold pizza sales and car washes to raise money for tail-gating parties during the Miami Hurricanes football season.

“It’s a great organization to get involved with and any student will have fun,” says Webb Morgan, Assistant Director of Orientation and Commuter Student Affairs since last June. “It provides a network for commuters to meet people.”

Throughout the year, ACS helps causes off-campus. Last year, for example through Hurricanes Help the Hometown, students cleaned-up, painted and restored Homestead playgrounds.

Hawaiian Hurricane Hookup, another ACS sponsored service, raised $800 for the American Diabetes Association by sponsoring a Hurricane singles auction. The auction allowed students to bid on 20 bachelors and bachelorettes from the football and cheerleading teams and a free dinner at the Ratskeller.

ACS enters a float in the Hurricane Homecoming parade and also participates in Organize Cheer, a competition among campus organization of who has the most spirited dance and cheer-song with a chosen them. Last year the theme was Out of the ’80s.

ACS is infamous for their “Brown-Floater,” which competes in the annual UM Cardboard Boat Race held at Lake Osceola against architecture and engineering students in the spring.

It is never too late get involved, log onto www.miami.edu/studorgs/acs .

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...