Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies continues to expand

Judaic Studies at the University of Miami continues to expand and is reaching out to students who are interested in Judaic Studies and the Middle East.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies is the coordinating body for all things relating to Judaism, as well as issues affecting Israel and the Middle East.

The regular Judaic Studies Program is a traditional major within the College of Arts and Sciences.

“Professor Jeffrey Shoulson will assume the position of Director of the Judaic Studies Program at the beginning of the Fall, 2002 semester and he expects to overhaul and enhance all the course offerings in Judaic Studies and, as a result, we hope in the future to have many more students electing Judaic Studies as their major,” said Maxine Schwartz, Director of Development and Outreach for the Sue and Leonard Miller Center.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center’s director, Professor Haim Shaked, is an expert on the Middle East. Students interested in the Middle East and Israel can take classes through the International Studies Program, which is now located in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“I think overall Judaic Studies at UM are good, but there’s still room for improvement,” said Junior Melissa Dolinsky.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center also does outreach by coordinating programs in the community relating to Jewish topics.

“We already have plans in place to continue our partnerships with the Alper JCC’s Jewish Book Fair, the Central Agency for Jewish Education’s Jewish Film Festival, the Holocaust Memorial of Miami Beach’s Lecture Series and lectures in partnership with a number of area synagogues,” said Schwartz.

“The four years since the creation of the Miller Center in 1998 have been filled with promise and creative activity. The years ahead should be rewarding as more programs are offered to students interested in majoring in Judaic Studies,” said Schwartz.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...