Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies continues to expand

Judaic Studies at the University of Miami continues to expand and is reaching out to students who are interested in Judaic Studies and the Middle East.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies is the coordinating body for all things relating to Judaism, as well as issues affecting Israel and the Middle East.

The regular Judaic Studies Program is a traditional major within the College of Arts and Sciences.

“Professor Jeffrey Shoulson will assume the position of Director of the Judaic Studies Program at the beginning of the Fall, 2002 semester and he expects to overhaul and enhance all the course offerings in Judaic Studies and, as a result, we hope in the future to have many more students electing Judaic Studies as their major,” said Maxine Schwartz, Director of Development and Outreach for the Sue and Leonard Miller Center.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center’s director, Professor Haim Shaked, is an expert on the Middle East. Students interested in the Middle East and Israel can take classes through the International Studies Program, which is now located in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“I think overall Judaic Studies at UM are good, but there’s still room for improvement,” said Junior Melissa Dolinsky.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center also does outreach by coordinating programs in the community relating to Jewish topics.

“We already have plans in place to continue our partnerships with the Alper JCC’s Jewish Book Fair, the Central Agency for Jewish Education’s Jewish Film Festival, the Holocaust Memorial of Miami Beach’s Lecture Series and lectures in partnership with a number of area synagogues,” said Schwartz.

“The four years since the creation of the Miller Center in 1998 have been filled with promise and creative activity. The years ahead should be rewarding as more programs are offered to students interested in majoring in Judaic Studies,” said Schwartz.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...