Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies continues to expand

Judaic Studies at the University of Miami continues to expand and is reaching out to students who are interested in Judaic Studies and the Middle East.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies is the coordinating body for all things relating to Judaism, as well as issues affecting Israel and the Middle East.

The regular Judaic Studies Program is a traditional major within the College of Arts and Sciences.

“Professor Jeffrey Shoulson will assume the position of Director of the Judaic Studies Program at the beginning of the Fall, 2002 semester and he expects to overhaul and enhance all the course offerings in Judaic Studies and, as a result, we hope in the future to have many more students electing Judaic Studies as their major,” said Maxine Schwartz, Director of Development and Outreach for the Sue and Leonard Miller Center.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center’s director, Professor Haim Shaked, is an expert on the Middle East. Students interested in the Middle East and Israel can take classes through the International Studies Program, which is now located in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“I think overall Judaic Studies at UM are good, but there’s still room for improvement,” said Junior Melissa Dolinsky.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center also does outreach by coordinating programs in the community relating to Jewish topics.

“We already have plans in place to continue our partnerships with the Alper JCC’s Jewish Book Fair, the Central Agency for Jewish Education’s Jewish Film Festival, the Holocaust Memorial of Miami Beach’s Lecture Series and lectures in partnership with a number of area synagogues,” said Schwartz.

“The four years since the creation of the Miller Center in 1998 have been filled with promise and creative activity. The years ahead should be rewarding as more programs are offered to students interested in majoring in Judaic Studies,” said Schwartz.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...