Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies continues to expand

Judaic Studies at the University of Miami continues to expand and is reaching out to students who are interested in Judaic Studies and the Middle East.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies is the coordinating body for all things relating to Judaism, as well as issues affecting Israel and the Middle East.

The regular Judaic Studies Program is a traditional major within the College of Arts and Sciences.

“Professor Jeffrey Shoulson will assume the position of Director of the Judaic Studies Program at the beginning of the Fall, 2002 semester and he expects to overhaul and enhance all the course offerings in Judaic Studies and, as a result, we hope in the future to have many more students electing Judaic Studies as their major,” said Maxine Schwartz, Director of Development and Outreach for the Sue and Leonard Miller Center.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center’s director, Professor Haim Shaked, is an expert on the Middle East. Students interested in the Middle East and Israel can take classes through the International Studies Program, which is now located in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“I think overall Judaic Studies at UM are good, but there’s still room for improvement,” said Junior Melissa Dolinsky.

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center also does outreach by coordinating programs in the community relating to Jewish topics.

“We already have plans in place to continue our partnerships with the Alper JCC’s Jewish Book Fair, the Central Agency for Jewish Education’s Jewish Film Festival, the Holocaust Memorial of Miami Beach’s Lecture Series and lectures in partnership with a number of area synagogues,” said Schwartz.

“The four years since the creation of the Miller Center in 1998 have been filled with promise and creative activity. The years ahead should be rewarding as more programs are offered to students interested in majoring in Judaic Studies,” said Schwartz.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...