‘Campus Cloud’ offers Internet sans wires

Now that students are back in classes at the University of Miami, they don’t have to rush to seek out a spot at the busy library computer lab to do research.

The UM campus is wireless thanks to a wireless network from Avaya (NYSE:AV) that will allow anyone with a laptop and a special network card to surf the Web inside and outdoors, without plugging into a phone line.

Because network access won’t be tied to cables or workstations, this “wireless cloud” will give students increased access to learning tools and information.

The UM wireless network project includes placing more than100 antennas throughout the 240-acre University’s Coral Gables campus so those registered users armed with laptops and a special network card that costs about $160 can sit out on the campus green, under a tree, or by the UM pool and connect directly into the high-speed network, use the online resources and surf the Internet as they would through any regularly connected desktop PC.

“At UM, we’re looking to provide every possible opportunity to communicate,” said Stewart Seruya, the University’s chief network officer in UM’s department of Information Technology. “With the wireless cloud project, we are supplementing our already extensive network here at UM.”

The student apartments were the first to receive access to the Avaya Wireless (formerly called Orinoco) data network. The “cloud” now covers other areas, buildings and facilities on campus that had not previously been wired, including the food court and University Center, the Mark Light Baseball Stadium, the College of Engineering, and the Schools of International Studies, Architecture, and Business. And, in the works, as part of UM’s library expansion, students who don’t have laptops will be able to check them out with the wireless card already installed.

“With the wireless cloud, the opportunities are endless, including holding multimedia events outdoors. Now, you don’t have to run cable outdoors all over campus for these types of events,” Seruya said.

UM webcast its commencement exercises live on the Internet using wireless technology.

Seruya says UM’s wireless network will be one of the best among universities, pointing out that other schools are larger than UM, but have the same size network. And, he added, though many schools are also going wireless, UM’s wireless network can be accessed campus-wide, not just from select buildings.

UM was ranked among one of the top 50 “most wired” universities by Yahoo!.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...