Berlin trades Gator Blue for ‘Cane Green

“Quarterback U” should have no problem living up to its name even after Heisman hopeful Ken Dorsey graduates.
In addition to signing freshman quarterback Marc Guillon, UM coach Larry Coker landed the nation’s top recruit, albeit from 1999, Brock Berlin – a transfer from the University of Florida.
“This is a little bit of a bonus to our recruiting class,” Coker said. “I came to Evangel (Christian Academy in Shreveport, La.) trying to recruit a receiver named Abram Booty (who eventually went to LSU). I think Brock was a sophomore or maybe a freshman at that time, but the coaches said, ‘You’ll be back for this young man.'”
Coker was enthusiastic about Berlin, a 6-1, 209-pound junior and possible heir apparent to Dorsey. Berlin signed with the Gators after earning the USA Today’s 1999 National Offensive Prep Player of the Year Award. Under NCAA rules, Berlin will have to sit out this season, Dorsey’s senior campaign, and will have two years of eligibility remaining. Coker stressed, however, that Berlin would have to earn that starting job.
“There are no guarantees here,” Coker said. “All he wants is an opportunity to compete for the job.”
Berlin will be competing with current UM backups Derrick Crudup, a red-shirt junior, and Buck Ortega, a red-shirt sophomore. Also in the mix is Guillon, a 6-4, 185-pound incoming recruit, who is graduating from Dorsey’s old high school, Miramonte (Calif.) High.
“I know there are other guys here that can play,” Berlin said. “I’ll just come in, work hard and compete and see what happens. I don’t want to come here and make (Crudup) feel like I’m the man or anything. I know we’re both up for the job after this year. Let the best man win.”
Berlin had been toiling behind Rex Grossman at UF, and had his red-shirt burned his freshman year by Spurrier. Berlin had made up his mind to transfer before the Orange Bowl on Jan. 2, but hesitated when Grossman contemplated leaving early for the NFL.
“I wanted an opportunity to play,” Berlin said. “If Rex would have left to go pro, then I would have wanted to stay with my buddies at Florida. But Rex decided to stay and I looked for the best opportunity.”
Berlin made the most of his opportunity when he did get to play at UF, completing 53-of-87 passes for 653 yards, 11 touchdowns and two interceptions in 11 regular season games. He also started in the Orange Bowl against Maryland, going 11-of-19 for 196 yards, two interceptions and a touchdown. Besides that start, Berlin was used to sitting on the bench and will use that experience to help him through the 2002 season.
“These past two years have been hard,” he said. “I’ve learned a lot about patience. Another year, that gets under your skin. You want to be out on the field making plays. But, hopefully, it goes by fast for me.”
If Berlin does start in 2003, he may be highlighting one date on the schedule – a game against UF in the Orange Bowl. He said he enjoyed his time in Gainesville but is ready to help the Hurricanes continue their success.
“I loved playing for the Gators, but I made the move and now I’m a ‘Cane,” Berlin said. “I’m ready to play the Gators when it comes that time.”

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...