The Top Ten of ’01-’02 Part 2

#6
football
Miami 26 vs. VA Tech 24
A week after avenging 2000’s only loss to Washington, the ‘Canes secured their trip to the Rose Bowl thanks to a dropped 2-point conversion pass by Tech’s Ernest Wilford with 6:03 left and a stifling defense that sacked Hokie quarterback Grant Noel five times, intercepted four passes and recovered his fumble. Miami extended its nation-best winning streak to 21 games.

#7
Volleyball
Miami 3 vs. St. Johns 0
The ‘Canes dominated the Red Storm with a 3-0 sweep (30-26, 30-21 & 30-28) at the Knight Complex on the UM campus. The win over a Big East opponent gave Miami a glimpse of its future, as they will enter the league next fall. In their first season since 1981, head coach Nicole Lantagne led Miami to a 17-7 record.

#8
women’s soccer
Miami 1 vs. Florida 0
Deidre Bass scored the biggest goal of her career as she led the University of Miami soccer team to a 1-0 shutout over the No. 20-ranked Florida Gators. The early season victory built momentum for a young ‘Canes team that finished the season with a first round NCAA tournament loss to Georgia. Miami went 10-8-1 on the season.

#9
baseball
Miami 9 vs. Long Beach State 6
In the ‘Canes first game after being swept by FSU at Mark Light Stadium, junior Kevin Howard completed a 4-for-5 outing by hitting a walk-off three-run homer off Long Beach State reliever Daniel Eisentrager in the ninth. The jack handed the Hurricanes a 9-6 victory over No. 13 LB St. last Friday. UM went on to win the series and build momentum in hopes of saving their season.

#10
men’s basketball
Miami 84 vs. Georgetown 76
In the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament, Marcus Barnes scored five of his career-high 27 points in overtime to lead the ‘Canes to victory and to their third trip in four years to the Big East semifinals. The win ended Georgetown’s season and was the last victory of the year for Miami. Miami proceeded to lose 76-71 to Pittsburgh in the semifinals.

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...