The Top Ten of ’01-’02 Part 1

#1
football
Miami 37 vs. Nebraska 14
An amazing performance in the Rose Bowl caps a perfect 12-0 season under first year head coach Larry Coker. Miami came out on fire and was up 34-0 at halftime. Ken Dorsey threw three touchdown passes, two to Andre Johnson, as both were named Co-MVP’s. Tailback Clinton Portis rushed for 104 yards and a touchdown. On defense, linebacker Jonathan Vilma led the Hurricanes with nine tackles and a quarterback sack.

#2
women’s tennis
Miami 4 vs. Notre Dame 1
The Miami women’s tennis team won the Big East championship by defeating rival and top-seeded Notre Dame four sets to one. Head coach Paige Yaroshuk was named Big East Coach of the Year and sophomore Mari Toro was named Most Outstanding Performer of the tournament. The victory earned the ‘Canes an automatic bid in the NCAA Championships that begin May 11.

#3
football
Miami 18 vs. Boston College 12
‘Cane fans just call it “the play”. Ed Reed completed a bizarre 80-yard interception return for a touchdown with 13 seconds left and the Eagles in prime scoring position, after he grabbed the ball out of teammate Matt Walters’ (who actually intercepted the pass) hands. Despite Dorsey throwing four interceptions, the Hurricanes avoided the upset, which could have put a halt to their Rose Bowl aspirations.

#4
mens basketball
Miami 68 vs. Connecticut 66
John Salmons’ 20 points led the ‘Canes to a thrilling two point victory over the Huskies in front of 10,000 plus fans at the Miami Arena. The win marked the sixth straight season that Miami has topped the Huskies at least once. Miami finished the season with a first round loss to Missouri in the NCCA tournament. The Hurricanes ended the 2001-2002 season ranked No. 21 in the nation, with a 24-8 record.

#5
womens basketball
Miami 57 vs. Texas 55
Chanivia Broussard scored 23 points and added six blocks and five steals to lead Miami to a 57-55 victory over No. 17 Texas that was decided by a video replay after time expired. Texas’ Tracy Cooks appeared to hit a game winning 3-pointer as time expired, but it was waved off.Sheila James’ 3-pointer with 18 seconds remaining sealed the win for the ‘Canes. Miami (19-12) finished the season with a second round loss to Houston in the NIT.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team dropped the opening set befo ...

Miami track and field punched three more tickets to the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships on the final ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...