The Top Ten of ’01-’02 Part 1

#1
football
Miami 37 vs. Nebraska 14
An amazing performance in the Rose Bowl caps a perfect 12-0 season under first year head coach Larry Coker. Miami came out on fire and was up 34-0 at halftime. Ken Dorsey threw three touchdown passes, two to Andre Johnson, as both were named Co-MVP’s. Tailback Clinton Portis rushed for 104 yards and a touchdown. On defense, linebacker Jonathan Vilma led the Hurricanes with nine tackles and a quarterback sack.

#2
women’s tennis
Miami 4 vs. Notre Dame 1
The Miami women’s tennis team won the Big East championship by defeating rival and top-seeded Notre Dame four sets to one. Head coach Paige Yaroshuk was named Big East Coach of the Year and sophomore Mari Toro was named Most Outstanding Performer of the tournament. The victory earned the ‘Canes an automatic bid in the NCAA Championships that begin May 11.

#3
football
Miami 18 vs. Boston College 12
‘Cane fans just call it “the play”. Ed Reed completed a bizarre 80-yard interception return for a touchdown with 13 seconds left and the Eagles in prime scoring position, after he grabbed the ball out of teammate Matt Walters’ (who actually intercepted the pass) hands. Despite Dorsey throwing four interceptions, the Hurricanes avoided the upset, which could have put a halt to their Rose Bowl aspirations.

#4
mens basketball
Miami 68 vs. Connecticut 66
John Salmons’ 20 points led the ‘Canes to a thrilling two point victory over the Huskies in front of 10,000 plus fans at the Miami Arena. The win marked the sixth straight season that Miami has topped the Huskies at least once. Miami finished the season with a first round loss to Missouri in the NCCA tournament. The Hurricanes ended the 2001-2002 season ranked No. 21 in the nation, with a 24-8 record.

#5
womens basketball
Miami 57 vs. Texas 55
Chanivia Broussard scored 23 points and added six blocks and five steals to lead Miami to a 57-55 victory over No. 17 Texas that was decided by a video replay after time expired. Texas’ Tracy Cooks appeared to hit a game winning 3-pointer as time expired, but it was waved off.Sheila James’ 3-pointer with 18 seconds remaining sealed the win for the ‘Canes. Miami (19-12) finished the season with a second round loss to Houston in the NIT.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...