The Top Ten of ’01-’02 Part 1

#1
football
Miami 37 vs. Nebraska 14
An amazing performance in the Rose Bowl caps a perfect 12-0 season under first year head coach Larry Coker. Miami came out on fire and was up 34-0 at halftime. Ken Dorsey threw three touchdown passes, two to Andre Johnson, as both were named Co-MVP’s. Tailback Clinton Portis rushed for 104 yards and a touchdown. On defense, linebacker Jonathan Vilma led the Hurricanes with nine tackles and a quarterback sack.

#2
women’s tennis
Miami 4 vs. Notre Dame 1
The Miami women’s tennis team won the Big East championship by defeating rival and top-seeded Notre Dame four sets to one. Head coach Paige Yaroshuk was named Big East Coach of the Year and sophomore Mari Toro was named Most Outstanding Performer of the tournament. The victory earned the ‘Canes an automatic bid in the NCAA Championships that begin May 11.

#3
football
Miami 18 vs. Boston College 12
‘Cane fans just call it “the play”. Ed Reed completed a bizarre 80-yard interception return for a touchdown with 13 seconds left and the Eagles in prime scoring position, after he grabbed the ball out of teammate Matt Walters’ (who actually intercepted the pass) hands. Despite Dorsey throwing four interceptions, the Hurricanes avoided the upset, which could have put a halt to their Rose Bowl aspirations.

#4
mens basketball
Miami 68 vs. Connecticut 66
John Salmons’ 20 points led the ‘Canes to a thrilling two point victory over the Huskies in front of 10,000 plus fans at the Miami Arena. The win marked the sixth straight season that Miami has topped the Huskies at least once. Miami finished the season with a first round loss to Missouri in the NCCA tournament. The Hurricanes ended the 2001-2002 season ranked No. 21 in the nation, with a 24-8 record.

#5
womens basketball
Miami 57 vs. Texas 55
Chanivia Broussard scored 23 points and added six blocks and five steals to lead Miami to a 57-55 victory over No. 17 Texas that was decided by a video replay after time expired. Texas’ Tracy Cooks appeared to hit a game winning 3-pointer as time expired, but it was waved off.Sheila James’ 3-pointer with 18 seconds remaining sealed the win for the ‘Canes. Miami (19-12) finished the season with a second round loss to Houston in the NIT.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...