Seniors prepare for graduation

Although the economy is on the upswing, it doesn’t seem to be enticing enough for UM’s graduating seniors. Most seniors interviewed by the Hurricane chose to continue their academic career at graduate school instead of jumping into the precarious job market.

“I am going to grad school because I feel I still have a lot to learn. Also the job market is not at its best,” said Gigi Frias, who is majoring in photography and psychology.

Frias, 20, will head off to Syracuse University to take part in their New Media program this fall.

“I went job searching and I saw what was out there. Grad school came first,” she said. “I am terrified of not getting a job.”

Mark Puskarich, 22, a public relations and political science major, felt the same way.

“I hope to find a job,” Puskarich said. “Sometimes if you get hired, the company will pay for your graduate work, so I’m hoping to be in a situation where a company will pay for my graduate work, if I decide to go.”

Twenty-two-year-old Marilisa Jimenez, a journalism and English literature major, already decided to go on to graduate school after being accepted into a masters program at the London School of Economics and Political Science.

But even Jimenez will be at home this fall.

“I’m deferring and going there a year from now,” Jimenez said. “It’s pretty expensive and I need to work for a while.”

Jimenez hopes to get a doctorate and become and English Professor.

Another English major, Alex Matzinger, 21, feels graduate school is the way to go, but for other reasons..

“I’ll go to graduate school,” Matzinger said. You can’t do too much with an English degree, if you don’t want to teach.”

Public relations and graphic designs major Tina Moyerman, 21, was one of the only seniors interviewed brave enough to test the job market.

“For right now, I’m staying until August and hopefully finding a job either down here or up north in the northeast,” Moyerman said. “With the market the way it is, it’s a little difficult to find a job.”

Ultimately, Moyerman would like to remain an undergraduate.

“I don’t want to leave. If someone would volunteer to pay for another semester I would stay. I just can’t afford it. You got to go sometime,” Moyerman said.

Puskarich, on the other hand, felt it was time for graduation.

“I’m actually very excited. I’ve been counting down the days until graduation since March,” Puskarich said. “I’m ready to leave college, I’ve enjoyed my time here, but in a way, I’m kind of burnt out-papers, lectures, text books, projects.”

The graduating seniors had a handful of advice for next year’s senior class.

“Prepare. Make sure you know whether you’re considering grad school from early on,” Frias said.

Jimenez had a list of “don’ts” for soon-to-be-seniors.

“Don’t mess up your GPA. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something-it’s trying, but it’s worth it,” she said.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...