Seniors prepare for graduation

Although the economy is on the upswing, it doesn’t seem to be enticing enough for UM’s graduating seniors. Most seniors interviewed by the Hurricane chose to continue their academic career at graduate school instead of jumping into the precarious job market.

“I am going to grad school because I feel I still have a lot to learn. Also the job market is not at its best,” said Gigi Frias, who is majoring in photography and psychology.

Frias, 20, will head off to Syracuse University to take part in their New Media program this fall.

“I went job searching and I saw what was out there. Grad school came first,” she said. “I am terrified of not getting a job.”

Mark Puskarich, 22, a public relations and political science major, felt the same way.

“I hope to find a job,” Puskarich said. “Sometimes if you get hired, the company will pay for your graduate work, so I’m hoping to be in a situation where a company will pay for my graduate work, if I decide to go.”

Twenty-two-year-old Marilisa Jimenez, a journalism and English literature major, already decided to go on to graduate school after being accepted into a masters program at the London School of Economics and Political Science.

But even Jimenez will be at home this fall.

“I’m deferring and going there a year from now,” Jimenez said. “It’s pretty expensive and I need to work for a while.”

Jimenez hopes to get a doctorate and become and English Professor.

Another English major, Alex Matzinger, 21, feels graduate school is the way to go, but for other reasons..

“I’ll go to graduate school,” Matzinger said. You can’t do too much with an English degree, if you don’t want to teach.”

Public relations and graphic designs major Tina Moyerman, 21, was one of the only seniors interviewed brave enough to test the job market.

“For right now, I’m staying until August and hopefully finding a job either down here or up north in the northeast,” Moyerman said. “With the market the way it is, it’s a little difficult to find a job.”

Ultimately, Moyerman would like to remain an undergraduate.

“I don’t want to leave. If someone would volunteer to pay for another semester I would stay. I just can’t afford it. You got to go sometime,” Moyerman said.

Puskarich, on the other hand, felt it was time for graduation.

“I’m actually very excited. I’ve been counting down the days until graduation since March,” Puskarich said. “I’m ready to leave college, I’ve enjoyed my time here, but in a way, I’m kind of burnt out-papers, lectures, text books, projects.”

The graduating seniors had a handful of advice for next year’s senior class.

“Prepare. Make sure you know whether you’re considering grad school from early on,” Frias said.

Jimenez had a list of “don’ts” for soon-to-be-seniors.

“Don’t mess up your GPA. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something-it’s trying, but it’s worth it,” she said.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...