Letter to the Editor

Re: Article in April 19 issue: “Candle promotes interfaith peace:”

The Hurricane is indeed a reputable and successful school newspaper. However, mistakes and misunderstandings do happen to all.

In the Friday April 19th’s article, “Candle Vigil Promotes Interfaith Peace”, there was one significant error, which resulted from a certain interpretation. I was misquoted saying, “Someone brought an American flag… I wouldn’t allow it in the ceremony. I’m against nationalism. That promotes wars.” This statement could be interpreted that I am against American pride in general. However, this interpretation would not be representative of my point of view.

Concurring with what I was genuinely implying, the quote should have stated, “…I am against nationalism at my vigil.” People bringing their country’s flag, be it American, or anywhere else, would modify the vigil’s main focus of a peaceful and uniting gathering to ALL people of ALL nationalities.

In conclusion, I would also like to thank the seventy participants and the university community at large for supporting this vigil.

Oded Ashkenazi is a sophomore majoring in Psychology.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...