Letter to the Editor

Re: Article in April 19 issue: “Candle promotes interfaith peace:”

The Hurricane is indeed a reputable and successful school newspaper. However, mistakes and misunderstandings do happen to all.

In the Friday April 19th’s article, “Candle Vigil Promotes Interfaith Peace”, there was one significant error, which resulted from a certain interpretation. I was misquoted saying, “Someone brought an American flag… I wouldn’t allow it in the ceremony. I’m against nationalism. That promotes wars.” This statement could be interpreted that I am against American pride in general. However, this interpretation would not be representative of my point of view.

Concurring with what I was genuinely implying, the quote should have stated, “…I am against nationalism at my vigil.” People bringing their country’s flag, be it American, or anywhere else, would modify the vigil’s main focus of a peaceful and uniting gathering to ALL people of ALL nationalities.

In conclusion, I would also like to thank the seventy participants and the university community at large for supporting this vigil.

Oded Ashkenazi is a sophomore majoring in Psychology.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...