Letter to the Editor

Re: Article in April 19 issue: “Candle promotes interfaith peace:”

The Hurricane is indeed a reputable and successful school newspaper. However, mistakes and misunderstandings do happen to all.

In the Friday April 19th’s article, “Candle Vigil Promotes Interfaith Peace”, there was one significant error, which resulted from a certain interpretation. I was misquoted saying, “Someone brought an American flag… I wouldn’t allow it in the ceremony. I’m against nationalism. That promotes wars.” This statement could be interpreted that I am against American pride in general. However, this interpretation would not be representative of my point of view.

Concurring with what I was genuinely implying, the quote should have stated, “…I am against nationalism at my vigil.” People bringing their country’s flag, be it American, or anywhere else, would modify the vigil’s main focus of a peaceful and uniting gathering to ALL people of ALL nationalities.

In conclusion, I would also like to thank the seventy participants and the university community at large for supporting this vigil.

Oded Ashkenazi is a sophomore majoring in Psychology.

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Griffin Berkenfeld, a University of Miami senior and director of CaneStage’s upcoming production of ...

With public impeachment hearings set to begin Wednesday, University of Miami experts weigh in on wha ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - University of Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced th ...

Miami head men's basketball coach Jim Larrañaga announced Wednesday the signing of consensus fo ...

Two members of the Miami women's tennis team earned spots in the Oracle/ITA singles rankings to ...

For the first time in over a decade a pair of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes ...

The No. 17/19 Miami women's basketball team downed North Florida, 78-55, in front of 4,017 fans ...