Culture

Fun in the Sun Summer Plans for Miami and Florida

So summer is finally here, you’re staying in Miami, and you have no clue what to do with your time. Fear not! Even if you’re taking summer courses, you’ll still have plenty of free time to enjoy everything Miami has to offer.

Play the tourist
Now is the time to bring out the camera, slap on the sunscreen, and see the sights. Without the pressure of friends thinking you’re a dork for doing it (since they’ve all gone home for the summer), you can finally see the tourists’ points of interest in Miami.

Vizcaya Museum and Gardens (3251 S. Miami Ave.)
Built in the 1800s by the exceedingly rich James Deering, Vizcaya is an exact replica of a Venetian villa. The massive house still has most of the original furniture and is now a museum. Most of the extensive gardens have been sold, but the small lot that remains, along with the house, are in pristine condition.

Museum of Science and Space Transit Planetarium (3280 S. Miami Ave.)

This is the place to let the inner five-year-old in you run about. A hands-on museum, the exhibits change several times a year- from dinosaurs you move yourself to “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly,” an exhibit about bacteria. The planetarium has, besides the more traditional stars and planets, laser shows to the sounds of Pink Floyd and other musicians during weekends.

Bayside Marketplace (Bayfront Park, Port of Miami)
From here, not only can you shop at very exclusive and expensive stores, you can eat at exclusive and expensive restaurants. Otherwise, this is a great place to go people-watching. All kinds of people come here- from the fru-fru European-types to the guys who sleep out in Bicentennial Park and everyone in between. There is also the Hard Rock Caf

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of

University of Miami Libraries has launched Documenting COVID-19: South Florida’s Pandemic Experience