Fun in the Sun Summer Plans for Miami and Florida

So summer is finally here, you’re staying in Miami, and you have no clue what to do with your time. Fear not! Even if you’re taking summer courses, you’ll still have plenty of free time to enjoy everything Miami has to offer.

Play the tourist
Now is the time to bring out the camera, slap on the sunscreen, and see the sights. Without the pressure of friends thinking you’re a dork for doing it (since they’ve all gone home for the summer), you can finally see the tourists’ points of interest in Miami.

Vizcaya Museum and Gardens (3251 S. Miami Ave.)
Built in the 1800s by the exceedingly rich James Deering, Vizcaya is an exact replica of a Venetian villa. The massive house still has most of the original furniture and is now a museum. Most of the extensive gardens have been sold, but the small lot that remains, along with the house, are in pristine condition.

Museum of Science and Space Transit Planetarium (3280 S. Miami Ave.)

This is the place to let the inner five-year-old in you run about. A hands-on museum, the exhibits change several times a year- from dinosaurs you move yourself to “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly,” an exhibit about bacteria. The planetarium has, besides the more traditional stars and planets, laser shows to the sounds of Pink Floyd and other musicians during weekends.

Bayside Marketplace (Bayfront Park, Port of Miami)
From here, not only can you shop at very exclusive and expensive stores, you can eat at exclusive and expensive restaurants. Otherwise, this is a great place to go people-watching. All kinds of people come here- from the fru-fru European-types to the guys who sleep out in Bicentennial Park and everyone in between. There is also the Hard Rock Caf

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...