Culture

Entertainment News

Tonight

94.9 ZETA FM’s Bonzai! Festival featuring Gravity Kills, Kid Rock, Puddle of Mudd, Sevendust, Rob Zombie, and Fu Manchu at Bicentennial Park, 1075 Biscayne Blvd. Show starts at 2 p.m. and tickets are $25. For more info, call 305-358-5885.

Face to Face performs live at Ovation, 3637 S. Federal Hwy. Show starts at 6 p.m. and tickets are $15. For more info, call 561-966-3309.

Lose the Rookie performs live at Revolver, 5922 S. Dixie Hwy. Show starts at 11 p.m. and tickets are $6.

The Exit and The Stryder perform live at Churchill’s Pub, 5501 N.E. 2nd Ave. Show starts at 10 p.m. and cover is $8.

Saturday

Dear Starlet and Fashionista perform live at Poptopia in the Billabong Pub, 3000 Country Club Lane, one block west of I-95 and Hallandale Beach Blvd. Show starts at 9 p.m. For more info, call 954-985-1050 or visit www.whirlawaymusic.com.

Molson Chiller Beer Party with the Crystal Method at South Beach, 11 Street and Ocean Drive. Show is for 21 and over and starts at 1 p.m. Tickets are $20. For more info, call 305-358-5885.

Sunday

52nd School of Communication Awards Banquet at the Omni Colonnade Hotel, 180 Aragon Ave. in Coral Gables. A reception precedes the event at 6:30 p.m. The dinner starts at 7:30 and the award presentation immediately after. The keynote speaker will be Mark Potter, a correspondent for CNN. Tickets are $10 for Communication students and $20 for all others. For more info, call 305-284-2265.

May 5

Rufus Wainwright performs live at Billboard Live, 15th Street and Ocean Drive, Miami Beach. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are $20. For more info, call 305-358-5885.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...