Williams eager to improve

Freshman Lauryn Williams has done more than just make her mark on the Miami Hurricanes this season. However, that has not stopped Williams from drawing out improved plans for the future.

With her first year winding down, Williams is set to compete in the Penn Relays this weekend, in Philadelphia. The 100-meter specialist will continue to try to impress scouts from all over the country, some which did not recruit Williams coming out of high school. Nevertheless, Williams could not have been happier with the way things turned out this season.

“The season has been fantastic, and I couldn’t have asked for more,” Williams said. “I wasn’t expecting anything as spectacular as some of the things I’ve done, and I just take that in stride.”

Born and raised in Rochester, Pennsylvania, the 5-3 Williams anchored the Rochester High track and field squad for several years. Her accomplishments included setting state records in both the 100 and 200-meter events, while also winning the state championship in the 4 x 100 relay. A four-year class president, Williams was named to the 100 and 200-meter relay All-American team, her junior and senior year.

Those accomplishments helped her acceptance to the Miami program, but Williams’ attitude is what impressed Hurricanes coach Amy Deem.

“She was such a pleasant kid to recruit, very upbeat and easy to talk to,” Deem said. “That’s the same personality she has brought to school this year.”

Deem’s enthusiastic attitude towards Williams heavily contributed to the Pennsylvanian’s decision to attend the University of Miami. Although Williams enjoyed the South Florida heat, she found that the transition to the college level was not easy.

“It’s been tough, but I have made it with very little problems,”Williams said. “The biggest thing was that I didn’t practice much in high school, and now I’m in full training, two or three hours a day.”

Eventually, Williams adapted to the grueling training schedule, and was able to set Miami records in both the 55 and 60-meter events during indoor season. However, her best showing came during the Hurricanes final home meet of the season, the Gatorade Classic Apr. 13. There, Williams set a Cobb Stadium record in the 100-meter with a time of 11.44. Williams also had a strong showing in the 200-meter event, finishing second to teammate Wylleshia Myrick, and posting a time of 23.91.

“All the girls want to show off for your family and friends,” Williams said. “Whenever you get a chance to host one, you have to show off for everyone and I wanted to show that University of Miami track and field deserves some recognition.”

Following the Penn Relays, the Hurricanes travel to Storrs, Connecticut for the Big East Championships, which begin May 3. Williams has high hopes for the rest of the season, and much of that has to due with her coach.

“I trust her (Deem) whole heartedly,” Williams said. “I’d sign my life over to her, if I had to. I know she has a plan for greatness, and that’s why I’m doing so well.”

Deem has been happy with Williams’s progress throughout the season, and has high expectations for the freshman before she graduates, particularly off the field.

“Eventually, Lauren is going to bring a lot of leadership,” Deem said. “She is a good student, and interested in everything that goes on in the athletic department, and is a great person to represent the athletic department, as well as track and field.”

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...