UM football sets records

The University of Miami football team set new records for NFL draft picks in a single season and in consecutive years. The ‘Canes had 11 players drafted, the most ever by a school since the NFL draft went to a seven round format in 1994.
Five Hurricanes – offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie (7, Minnesota Vikings), tight end Jeremy Shockey (14, New York Giants), cornerback Phillip Buchanon (17, Oakland Raiders), safety Edward Reed (24, Baltimore Ravens) and cornerback Mike Rumph (26, San Francisco) were all selected in the first round Saturday to give UM an all-time record for most players drafted in the first round over two seasons.
With five players selected in the opening round, Miami has had a total of nine players taken in the first round over the 2001 and 2002 drafts, surpassing the record held by USC (1968-69) and Notre Dame (1993-94). The Hurricane’s five first round picks also tied USC’s (1969) record for most players from a single school taken in the first round.
Miami’s previous best two-year total was five, achieved three times (1987-88, 1988-89 and 2000-01).
Another Hurricane, tailback Clinton Portis (Denver Broncos), was drafted on the first day of the draft as well with the No. 51 pick in the second round
Miami’s previous best first round was last season, as four Hurricanes – defensive tackle Damione Lewis (11, St. Louis Rams), linebacker Dan Morgan (12, Carolina Panthers), receiver Santana Moss (16, New York Jets), and receiver Reggie Wayne (30, Indianapolis Colts) were taken in the first round.

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...