UM football sets records

The University of Miami football team set new records for NFL draft picks in a single season and in consecutive years. The ‘Canes had 11 players drafted, the most ever by a school since the NFL draft went to a seven round format in 1994.
Five Hurricanes – offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie (7, Minnesota Vikings), tight end Jeremy Shockey (14, New York Giants), cornerback Phillip Buchanon (17, Oakland Raiders), safety Edward Reed (24, Baltimore Ravens) and cornerback Mike Rumph (26, San Francisco) were all selected in the first round Saturday to give UM an all-time record for most players drafted in the first round over two seasons.
With five players selected in the opening round, Miami has had a total of nine players taken in the first round over the 2001 and 2002 drafts, surpassing the record held by USC (1968-69) and Notre Dame (1993-94). The Hurricane’s five first round picks also tied USC’s (1969) record for most players from a single school taken in the first round.
Miami’s previous best two-year total was five, achieved three times (1987-88, 1988-89 and 2000-01).
Another Hurricane, tailback Clinton Portis (Denver Broncos), was drafted on the first day of the draft as well with the No. 51 pick in the second round
Miami’s previous best first round was last season, as four Hurricanes – defensive tackle Damione Lewis (11, St. Louis Rams), linebacker Dan Morgan (12, Carolina Panthers), receiver Santana Moss (16, New York Jets), and receiver Reggie Wayne (30, Indianapolis Colts) were taken in the first round.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...