UM football sets records

The University of Miami football team set new records for NFL draft picks in a single season and in consecutive years. The ‘Canes had 11 players drafted, the most ever by a school since the NFL draft went to a seven round format in 1994.
Five Hurricanes – offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie (7, Minnesota Vikings), tight end Jeremy Shockey (14, New York Giants), cornerback Phillip Buchanon (17, Oakland Raiders), safety Edward Reed (24, Baltimore Ravens) and cornerback Mike Rumph (26, San Francisco) were all selected in the first round Saturday to give UM an all-time record for most players drafted in the first round over two seasons.
With five players selected in the opening round, Miami has had a total of nine players taken in the first round over the 2001 and 2002 drafts, surpassing the record held by USC (1968-69) and Notre Dame (1993-94). The Hurricane’s five first round picks also tied USC’s (1969) record for most players from a single school taken in the first round.
Miami’s previous best two-year total was five, achieved three times (1987-88, 1988-89 and 2000-01).
Another Hurricane, tailback Clinton Portis (Denver Broncos), was drafted on the first day of the draft as well with the No. 51 pick in the second round
Miami’s previous best first round was last season, as four Hurricanes – defensive tackle Damione Lewis (11, St. Louis Rams), linebacker Dan Morgan (12, Carolina Panthers), receiver Santana Moss (16, New York Jets), and receiver Reggie Wayne (30, Indianapolis Colts) were taken in the first round.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...