Sports Briefs

MEN’S TRACK & FIELD

Junior Andre Johnson won the 100-meters, and senior Gerald Wise took first in the javelin to lead the University of Miami at the South Florida Collegiate in Tampa, FL. Johnson, a wide receiver on the Hurricanes’ National Champion football team and co-MVP of this season’s Rose Bowl, finished first with a time of 10.68 marking his first win of the season. Wise easily outdistanced the field in recording his first win of the season. Wise registered a mark of 51.54 meters (169-01.00), which was nearly 19 feet farther than FIU’s Peter Marrero who finished second with a throw of 42.74 meters (140-03.00). The Hurricanes had several second-place finishers including sophomore Aaron Bass in the pole vault (4.57 meters/15-00.00), sophomore Russell Landy in the long jump (5.72 meters/18-09.25), junior Kenny Frank (Pomona, NY) in the 110-meter hurdles (14.67) and the 4×100-meter relay (40.72) of sophomore Willis McGahee, Johnson, freshman Roscoe Parrish (Miami Senior) and freshman Tanard Davis.

MEN’S FOOTBALL

The Broward Sheriff’s Office Deerfield Beach District is having a fun-filled family event and charity softball game for National DARE Day, Saturday, April 27, 2002. For the 10th year in a row, The University of Miami Football Team will take on the Community Business All-Stars and UM Coaches in a benefit softball game to raise money for youth programs in Deerfield Beach. The event will take place at the Deerfield Beach Middle School athletic complex, located at 701 SE 6th Avenue. Pre-game activities begin at 5:00 p.m. and the first pitch will be thrown at 7:00 p.m. Pre-game activities include a bounce house, hayrides, and games. For more information contact the Community Relations Office at 305-284-4609.

MEN’S
BASKETBALL

The University of Miami men’s basketball team held its annual awards banquet Thursday at the Mayfair House Hotel in Coconut Grove, FL. Miami, which recorded its eighth consecutive winning season, finished with an 24-8 overall record, 10-6 in the Big East, and reached the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in the last five seasons. The Hurricanes established several school-records last season including victories (24), three-point field goals (236), three-point field goal attempts (684) and blocked shots (190). Among the award winners were James Jones as the Outstanding Student-Athlete, Darius Rice as the leading scorer, and Marcus Barnes, who was a member of the All Big-East Tournament Team.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...