Sports Briefs

MEN’S TRACK & FIELD

Junior Andre Johnson won the 100-meters, and senior Gerald Wise took first in the javelin to lead the University of Miami at the South Florida Collegiate in Tampa, FL. Johnson, a wide receiver on the Hurricanes’ National Champion football team and co-MVP of this season’s Rose Bowl, finished first with a time of 10.68 marking his first win of the season. Wise easily outdistanced the field in recording his first win of the season. Wise registered a mark of 51.54 meters (169-01.00), which was nearly 19 feet farther than FIU’s Peter Marrero who finished second with a throw of 42.74 meters (140-03.00). The Hurricanes had several second-place finishers including sophomore Aaron Bass in the pole vault (4.57 meters/15-00.00), sophomore Russell Landy in the long jump (5.72 meters/18-09.25), junior Kenny Frank (Pomona, NY) in the 110-meter hurdles (14.67) and the 4×100-meter relay (40.72) of sophomore Willis McGahee, Johnson, freshman Roscoe Parrish (Miami Senior) and freshman Tanard Davis.

MEN’S FOOTBALL

The Broward Sheriff’s Office Deerfield Beach District is having a fun-filled family event and charity softball game for National DARE Day, Saturday, April 27, 2002. For the 10th year in a row, The University of Miami Football Team will take on the Community Business All-Stars and UM Coaches in a benefit softball game to raise money for youth programs in Deerfield Beach. The event will take place at the Deerfield Beach Middle School athletic complex, located at 701 SE 6th Avenue. Pre-game activities begin at 5:00 p.m. and the first pitch will be thrown at 7:00 p.m. Pre-game activities include a bounce house, hayrides, and games. For more information contact the Community Relations Office at 305-284-4609.

MEN’S
BASKETBALL

The University of Miami men’s basketball team held its annual awards banquet Thursday at the Mayfair House Hotel in Coconut Grove, FL. Miami, which recorded its eighth consecutive winning season, finished with an 24-8 overall record, 10-6 in the Big East, and reached the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in the last five seasons. The Hurricanes established several school-records last season including victories (24), three-point field goals (236), three-point field goal attempts (684) and blocked shots (190). Among the award winners were James Jones as the Outstanding Student-Athlete, Darius Rice as the leading scorer, and Marcus Barnes, who was a member of the All Big-East Tournament Team.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...