Ryder pulls name from UM arena

The University of Miami men’s and women’s basketball teams will not play any games in the Ryder Center next year.

The convocation center currently being erected on the east side of campus will be completed in time for the 2002-2003 season, it will simply bear a different name, officials said.

In a joint statement first issued to The Miami Hurricane, Ryder System, Inc. and the University of Miami announced Thursday that Ryder was returning the naming rights of the convocation center to the university.

“They are simply giving us the opportunity to resell the name,” UM President Donna Shalala said.

“The Ryder Corporation has been a tremendous supporter,” UM Athletic Director Paul Dee said. “Their stepping forward when they did [in 1994]made it possible.”

Ryder made a commitment to pay $9 million towards the construction of the convocation center in 1994.

“Ryder has paid a substantial amount of that money,” Dee said. “They will complete their obligations under the agreement that we have.”

According to the statement issued to The Hurricane: “Ryder’s funding support to the University of Miami remains unchanged. The company, however, has shifted its marketing strategy away from a consumer audience to an approach that targets business-to-business audiences.”

“The focus of their business changed,” Dee said. “It was no longer retail.”

Both Shalala and Dee said that Ryder approached the university a few months ago about the redirection of their advertising and the redirection of their focus.

“Over that time we’ve come to an agreement,” Dee said. “They were just about ready to make an announcement in a week or two, but I guess this made it come a little sooner.”

“[Ryder] has been among the best friends the university has ever had,” Shalala said.

Shalala and Dee said there are a few possible corporate sponsors in mind, but they are not ready to release their names as yet.

“We have some people that we plan to talk to, but those are usually kept private before we have the opportunity to contact them,” Dee said.

If any of the corporate sponsors were to say no to the opportunity to rename the convocation center, their declination might reflect poorly on them publicly, Dee explained.

The process for finding a new sponsor will remain the same, Shalala said.

“It’ll take a significant gift,” Shalala said. “It’ll be in the same range as the Ryder gift, and based on when Ryder’s gift was made, it might be a bit higher.”

The money from a new sponsor will go directly to paying off the costs of the construction, according to officials.

“We borrowed money to build the Ryder center,” Shalala said.

“It’ll help us pay it off sooner,” Dee said. “It’ll help us pay down the mortgage a lot faster.”

Overall, officials said they are thrilled with Ryder’s announcement.

“It’s a good deal for the university. We’re pleased we were able to work it out. I can’t say enough great things about Ryder,” Shalala said.

“It was [Ryder’s] goodwill to let us remarket the name. It was a tremendous gift by them,” Dee said.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...