News Briefs and Campus Calendar

CANES FILM FESTIVAL SHOWCASES STUDENT FILMMAKERS’ TALENT
Although it’s more than 5,000 miles away from its more famous cousin in Cannes, France, the University of Miami’s Canes Film Festival also showcases the works of talented filmmakers.

What: Free and open to the public, the Canes Film Festival will showcase more than 50 short films and documentaries written and directed by students in the University of Miami’s graduate and undergraduate film programs. Films featured in the festival cover a wide variety of genres and were shot on locations ranging from Miami to Honduras to Moscow. The festival will also feature readings of scripts from students in the screenwriting program. Sample films include “Mooncalf,” a reinterpretation of Shakespeare’s “The Tempest”; “In the Banya,” a story about female relationships shot on location in Moscow; “Advent,” a futuristic look at the evolution of the human race; and “Seeking: Ginger,” a comic ‘dance-ical’ about two senior citizens looking for love.
When:
6 – 10 pm, Fri., April 26
6 – 10 pm, Sat., April 27
5 – 10 pm, Sun., April 28
Where: The Bill Cosford Cinema Second floor, Memorial Building University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus Contact: For schedule, directions or more information, call the University of Miami Motion Pictures Department at (305) 284-6902 or visit www.canesfilmfestival.com. Contact: Heather Sokolow at (305) 662-7154 or (305) 284-6902

DISCOUNT PARKING SPACES ADDED
Beginning Fall 2002, the UM will offer 1,800 discount parking spaces at the Ponce Garage, Metro Lots North and South, Red Road Lots North and South, and Scodella and Liguria Lots, each with fast, convenient Hurry ‘Cane Shuttle service to points across campus. These discounted permits can be purchased when Parking Permits go on sale Monday, July 29. Questions? Call 305-284-3096, option 1.

APRIL IS NATIONAL STI AWARENESS MONTH
The Wellness Center will be distributing condoms and educational information in the Breezeway every Thursday during April between 11-a.m.-1p.m. to celebrate national STI Month. For more information on STI’s or condoms distribution, please contact 305-284-6524.

MENINGITIS VACCINATION CLINICS OFFERED IN BREEZEWAY
Student Health Center will be offering meningitis vaccinations in the Breezeway throughout the month of April for $49.99 (compared to the regular price of $70). Clinics are scheduled for April 11, April 18, and April 25 between 11:30a.m. to 1:30p.m. Cash or check will be accepted at the breezeway Clinics. Vaccines will be offered at the Student Health Center throughout the month of April for students who can not attend clinics.

PONCE GARAGE CLOSING FOR CONSTRUCTION
The Ponce Garage will be closed to all traffic and parking as of Friday, May 3, due to construction, which includes adding two floors of parking. The project is expected to be completed by August 2002. Alternate parking will be available at Coral Gables Municipal Lots 42 and 43, on Ponce de Leon Blvd. across the street from the Ponce Garage and Mark Light Baseball Stadium, as well as the Scodella, Liguria, Albenga, and Red Road North and South Lots. The Hub of the Hurry ‘Cane Shuttle service will relocate from the Ponce Garage to the Metro North Lot.

Sign-up for on-campus housing!

Today
CAC Film, “Lord of the Rings.”
Graduate Student BBQ from 12-2p.m. on the UC Patio.
Games night at Rat from 7-9p.m.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...