News Briefs and Campus Calendar

CANES FILM FESTIVAL SHOWCASES STUDENT FILMMAKERS’ TALENT
Although it’s more than 5,000 miles away from its more famous cousin in Cannes, France, the University of Miami’s Canes Film Festival also showcases the works of talented filmmakers.

What: Free and open to the public, the Canes Film Festival will showcase more than 50 short films and documentaries written and directed by students in the University of Miami’s graduate and undergraduate film programs. Films featured in the festival cover a wide variety of genres and were shot on locations ranging from Miami to Honduras to Moscow. The festival will also feature readings of scripts from students in the screenwriting program. Sample films include “Mooncalf,” a reinterpretation of Shakespeare’s “The Tempest”; “In the Banya,” a story about female relationships shot on location in Moscow; “Advent,” a futuristic look at the evolution of the human race; and “Seeking: Ginger,” a comic ‘dance-ical’ about two senior citizens looking for love.
When:
6 – 10 pm, Fri., April 26
6 – 10 pm, Sat., April 27
5 – 10 pm, Sun., April 28
Where: The Bill Cosford Cinema Second floor, Memorial Building University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus Contact: For schedule, directions or more information, call the University of Miami Motion Pictures Department at (305) 284-6902 or visit www.canesfilmfestival.com. Contact: Heather Sokolow at (305) 662-7154 or (305) 284-6902

DISCOUNT PARKING SPACES ADDED
Beginning Fall 2002, the UM will offer 1,800 discount parking spaces at the Ponce Garage, Metro Lots North and South, Red Road Lots North and South, and Scodella and Liguria Lots, each with fast, convenient Hurry ‘Cane Shuttle service to points across campus. These discounted permits can be purchased when Parking Permits go on sale Monday, July 29. Questions? Call 305-284-3096, option 1.

APRIL IS NATIONAL STI AWARENESS MONTH
The Wellness Center will be distributing condoms and educational information in the Breezeway every Thursday during April between 11-a.m.-1p.m. to celebrate national STI Month. For more information on STI’s or condoms distribution, please contact 305-284-6524.

MENINGITIS VACCINATION CLINICS OFFERED IN BREEZEWAY
Student Health Center will be offering meningitis vaccinations in the Breezeway throughout the month of April for $49.99 (compared to the regular price of $70). Clinics are scheduled for April 11, April 18, and April 25 between 11:30a.m. to 1:30p.m. Cash or check will be accepted at the breezeway Clinics. Vaccines will be offered at the Student Health Center throughout the month of April for students who can not attend clinics.

PONCE GARAGE CLOSING FOR CONSTRUCTION
The Ponce Garage will be closed to all traffic and parking as of Friday, May 3, due to construction, which includes adding two floors of parking. The project is expected to be completed by August 2002. Alternate parking will be available at Coral Gables Municipal Lots 42 and 43, on Ponce de Leon Blvd. across the street from the Ponce Garage and Mark Light Baseball Stadium, as well as the Scodella, Liguria, Albenga, and Red Road North and South Lots. The Hub of the Hurry ‘Cane Shuttle service will relocate from the Ponce Garage to the Metro North Lot.

Sign-up for on-campus housing!

Today
CAC Film, “Lord of the Rings.”
Graduate Student BBQ from 12-2p.m. on the UC Patio.
Games night at Rat from 7-9p.m.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...