Entertainment News

Layne Staley, lead singer for the pivotal grunge band Alice in Chains, was discovered dead last Friday by in his Seattle apartment, after authorities responded to a call from an anonymous friend . While the cause of death has not been determined, a Seattle police spokesman has reported that it might be a possible drug overdose. Alice in Chains disbanded in 1996 after the success of two number one albums and numerous hit singles like Heaven Beside You, Rooster and Dirt. Staley’s publicized heroin addiction, the inspiration for many of the group’s songs, ultimately played a significant role in the band’s demise. He was 34.

In other music news… Ex-Van Halen singers David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar are teaming up for a tour that will kick off May 29 and reportedly will feature numerous Van Halen covers. Recent UM musical guest Afu Ra will release his second album, Life Force Radio, on May 21. It will feature production by DJ Premier, among others and guest appearances by RZA, M.O.P and Big Daddy Kane. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are still working on their next album, By the Way. Chili Pepper guitarist John Frusciante said the album, scheduled to drop in June, is much deeper than the mutli-platinum Californication. A sign of what you’ll be seeing on MTV for the next year – Eminem dressed up as Osama bin Laden for the shoot of his new video Without Me, set to premiere in May.
The Rock is now a movie star. The Scorpion King, the new action movie from the WWF wrestler and member of UM’s 1990 champion football team, grossed an estimated $36.2 million over the weekend, making it the largest April opening in film history. The movie is a spin-off of the lucrative The Mummy franchise and had a modest budget that was just over $60 million. Changing Lanes starring Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Affleck slipped to number two and grossed a solid $11.1 million, to bring its two-week total to $32.8 million.
In film news… Playwright Reginald Rose, best known his acclaimed screenplay for the 1957 film Twelve Angry Men, and his Emmy-award winning work on the television show The Defenders, has died at the age of 81. Director David Fincher, with his film Panic Room still going strong in theatres, is in final talks to helm Mission Impossible 3 with Tom Cruise returning in the lead role. The last film in the spy franchise, MI:2, was directed by director John Woo and went on to gross $546 million worldwide.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...