Entertainment News

Layne Staley, lead singer for the pivotal grunge band Alice in Chains, was discovered dead last Friday by in his Seattle apartment, after authorities responded to a call from an anonymous friend . While the cause of death has not been determined, a Seattle police spokesman has reported that it might be a possible drug overdose. Alice in Chains disbanded in 1996 after the success of two number one albums and numerous hit singles like Heaven Beside You, Rooster and Dirt. Staley’s publicized heroin addiction, the inspiration for many of the group’s songs, ultimately played a significant role in the band’s demise. He was 34.

In other music news… Ex-Van Halen singers David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar are teaming up for a tour that will kick off May 29 and reportedly will feature numerous Van Halen covers. Recent UM musical guest Afu Ra will release his second album, Life Force Radio, on May 21. It will feature production by DJ Premier, among others and guest appearances by RZA, M.O.P and Big Daddy Kane. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are still working on their next album, By the Way. Chili Pepper guitarist John Frusciante said the album, scheduled to drop in June, is much deeper than the mutli-platinum Californication. A sign of what you’ll be seeing on MTV for the next year – Eminem dressed up as Osama bin Laden for the shoot of his new video Without Me, set to premiere in May.
The Rock is now a movie star. The Scorpion King, the new action movie from the WWF wrestler and member of UM’s 1990 champion football team, grossed an estimated $36.2 million over the weekend, making it the largest April opening in film history. The movie is a spin-off of the lucrative The Mummy franchise and had a modest budget that was just over $60 million. Changing Lanes starring Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Affleck slipped to number two and grossed a solid $11.1 million, to bring its two-week total to $32.8 million.
In film news… Playwright Reginald Rose, best known his acclaimed screenplay for the 1957 film Twelve Angry Men, and his Emmy-award winning work on the television show The Defenders, has died at the age of 81. Director David Fincher, with his film Panic Room still going strong in theatres, is in final talks to helm Mission Impossible 3 with Tom Cruise returning in the lead role. The last film in the spy franchise, MI:2, was directed by director John Woo and went on to gross $546 million worldwide.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...