Category 5 gives sound to UC patio

Come next fall, UM students will be the recipients of Category 5’s generous gift to the university center-a new sound system.

Category 5, a branch of student government and the spirit programming board on campus, began thinking about buying a new sound system after their first pep rally last year. They are responsible for putting on all the pre-game events on campus for boosting school spirit.

“The sound system now is antiquated. The purpose of our pep rallies are that they’re supposed to be loud, fun, interactive,” said former Category 5 co-chair and current member, JD Barbosa. “We’ve been thinking about it since our first pep rally last year, but we didn’t have the budget.”

Barbosa said that it is very difficult to hear anything on the current sound system.

“There is no sound system. Activities will be better than before and every club can use it,” said Category 5 co-chair Carlos Echeverri, a sophomore majoring in psychology and mathematics.

Echeverri believes that with the new sound system improving the activities on campus, more students will get involved in events.

“It will promote school spirit overall,” he said.

The system should be installed in the Rock area sometime this summer, Barbosa said. The speakers will be hidden in the trees and the control panel will be located in the UC.

“We’re doing our shopping. We’re getting quotes. We’ve contacted the contractors,” he said.

The people responsible for getting the system are Barbosa, Category 5 co-chair Kimberly Racciato, and Category 5 advisor Webb Morgan.

Category 5 is looking at a price range between five and eight thousand dollars, which they can easily afford, Barbosa said, with the $30,000 annual budget that the student activities fee provides for them.

“We try to spend our budget as wisely as we can,” Echeverri said. “You can say we’ve been stingy with the money over the year so we had a lot left over.”

“Since this is the first year that Category 5 has a budget we thought we should make a capital investment. We feel like it’s going to be an investment for us and the university,” Barbosa said.

“We’re going to do our best to get it done before next semester,” Echeverri said.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...