Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

The 2002 NFL Draft takes place tomorrow and Sunday in New York. Pro football’s newest franchise, the Houston Texans, hold the first pick and are expected to take Fresno State quarterback David Carr. Several Hurricanes, meanwhile, are expected to hear their names called during the two day festivities. ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr, projects offensive lineman Bryant McKinnie and cornerback Phillip Buchanon to be drafted in the top 10. Tight End Jeremy Shockey has been widley considered as the best tight end in the draft, while safety Ed Reed may also be taken off the board before the end of the first round. Other Hurricanes who will likely make the move to the NFL, include offensive linemen Martin Bibla and Joaquin Gonzalez, safety James Lewis, and running back Clinton Portis, who CBS Sportsline.com calls “a second-round steal.”

WOMEN’S ROWING

This weekend, the Hurricanes travel Oak Ridge, Tennessee, as the team competes in the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships, which take place tomorrow and Sunday. The Hurricanes varsity eight is coming off a second place finish at the FIRA State Championship, while the junior varsity four were victorious in their state championship meet. This weekend marks the final tournament for Miami before they head north to the Big East Championships in Worchester, Massachusetts, on Apr. 28. The Central Region/Lexus Sprints, also in Oak Ridge, take place on May 18th and 19th.

WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD

The University of Miami women’s track and field team debuted at No. 17 in the Trackwire Top-25 rankings released Wednesday. Miami has six individuals and two relays currently on the NCAA list. Leading the way for the Hurricanes is senior All-American Kareen Clarke, who ranks nationally in both the long jump and triple jump. Freshman Lauryn Williams, who earned All-America honors in the 60-meters during the indoor season, ranks fourth in the nation in the 100-meters (11.44). Senior Wylleshia Myrick, a 2000 All-American in the 200-meters, has the 12th fastest 200-meter time in nation this season (23.59). The Hurricanes have also received strong performances from juniors Saraque Whittaker and Jamillah Wade. Whittaker, an NCAA qualifier last season, ranks 13th in the nation in the 400-meters (53.31) while Wade, the defending Big East Champion in the 400-hurdles, ranks 21st in the nation in the event (58.97).

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...