A new wave of environmentalism is taking over

Earth Day is Monday, and environmentalists have a lot to celebrate this year. The environmental movement is experiencing rampant proliferation as people discover the true nature of the cause. No longer erroneously viewed as radical anti-capitalists, environmentalists are finally gaining the respect they deserve for defending our planet and its inhabitants.

While air pollution, rivers, and rain forests remain a deeply-rooted cause, people are now grasping the severity of the social implications that result from destroying our natural world. The linkage between global human rights and environmental protection has become more obvious, as has the correlation between sustainable land, resource management and poverty eradication. Environmental and human rights organizations have joined forces on their crusades towards a more compassionate world.

Environmentalists worldwide are transcending boundaries and empowering ordinary people to live extraordinary lives. Every day, activists perform towering feats of altruism. Their actions stem from a fervent belief that humanity should respect the earth’s bounty – not try to conquer it.

Our noble fight to save the planet encompasses so much more than tapped out aquifers and dying ecosystems. While some ethnocentric, benighted individuals believe that environmentalists embrace issues that are “emotionally urgent and easily grasped,” the reality is that many environmental problems plaguing our world are profound, and they affect the lives of millions.

To simple minds, issues such as groundwater pollution may appear superficial and insignificant in their lives. But to the countless families who have lost children to cancer and other illnesses resulting from toxic contaminants in the drinking water, or to the millions of people in this country who suffer from severe asthma and respiratory ailments worsened by hazardous pollutants in the air, issues of environmental degradation are not so easily grasped.

Surely it’s more convenient for skeptics to label environmentalists as religious ecological zealots rather than try to empathize with the nobility of our cause. Cynics of environmentalism have made earnest attempts to criticize us, but have frequently stalled short of raising sensible compelling arguments.

Let it be known that we welcome vibrant debate and criticism from skeptics. We thrive and flourish through this open flow of ideas and relish in the opportunity to dispel misconceptions that we are all out to sink the world’s economic markets.

Call us zealots, fanatics, whatever you like. But brace yourselves, cynics, as devout environmentalists like me continue to spread our idealistic philosophies across the globe. A new wave of greenness is taking over our nation, and this green has little to do with dead presidents.

Jackie Pitts is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and political science.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...