Women’s track excel in Gatorade classic

The Miami Hurricanes women’s track team dominated the field at the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic held at the Cobb Stadium last Saturday.

In her final home appearance at Cobb Stadium, senior Kareen Clarke placed first in the long jump (6.33 meters) and triple jump (13.29 meters) while posting NCAA provisional qualifying marks in both events. Clarke won the long jump by nearly seven inches, while dominating the triple jump by over two feet. Clarke has seven victories in nine competitions this season. UM teammate Sharianne Lawson took second in the long jump with a leap of 6.16 meters.

Freshman standout Lauryn Williams set a new UM and Cobb Stadium record in the 100-meters with a time of 11.44 seconds. She also placed second in the 200-meters (23.91) to All-American teammate Wyllesheia Myrick.

The women’s 4×100 meter relay of Myrick, Williams, Lawson, and freshman Wiande Moore recorded the fifth fastest NCAA time this season (44.57) and provisionally qualified for the NCAA outdoor Championship.

Hurricanes junior Jamillah Wade and All-American Patricia Pearson finished first in the 400-meter hurdles (1:00.20) and 800-meters (2:07.96), respectively. Junior Saraque Whittaker was the top collegiate finisher in the 400-meters posting an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 53.31.

The 4×400 meter relay team of Terria Madison, Wade, senior Jenise Winston, and freshman Amber Williams placed first with a provisional qualifying time of 3:38.11.

The Miami Hurricanes men’s track and field team also fared well at the Gatorade Classic. Special highlights included UM senior Jeff Gaulrapp’s first place finish in the 3,000-meter steeplechase at his final Cobb Stadium appearance with a time of 9:18.51. Junior Dan Boniface placed second with a time of 9:33.71. Both had NCAA qualifying times for the Outdoor Championship meet.

The men’s 4×100-meter relay team of sophomore Willis McGahee, freshman Kelly Jennings, freshman Tanard Davis, and Rose Bowl MVP junior Andre Johnson recorded a time of 40.86 to achieve its first win of the season.

Four of the men’s pole-vaulters registered provisional qualifying marks. Senior All-American Aaron Moser placed third with a vault of 4.73 meters and sophomore Aaron Bass placed fifth with a vault of 4.58 meters. Freshman Chris Centrich and sophomore Jon Mark placed eighth and ninth, respectively with marks of 4.43 meters each.

The Women’s and Men’s Track and Field teams will compete next at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on April 25-27.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...