Women’s track excel in Gatorade classic

The Miami Hurricanes women’s track team dominated the field at the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic held at the Cobb Stadium last Saturday.

In her final home appearance at Cobb Stadium, senior Kareen Clarke placed first in the long jump (6.33 meters) and triple jump (13.29 meters) while posting NCAA provisional qualifying marks in both events. Clarke won the long jump by nearly seven inches, while dominating the triple jump by over two feet. Clarke has seven victories in nine competitions this season. UM teammate Sharianne Lawson took second in the long jump with a leap of 6.16 meters.

Freshman standout Lauryn Williams set a new UM and Cobb Stadium record in the 100-meters with a time of 11.44 seconds. She also placed second in the 200-meters (23.91) to All-American teammate Wyllesheia Myrick.

The women’s 4×100 meter relay of Myrick, Williams, Lawson, and freshman Wiande Moore recorded the fifth fastest NCAA time this season (44.57) and provisionally qualified for the NCAA outdoor Championship.

Hurricanes junior Jamillah Wade and All-American Patricia Pearson finished first in the 400-meter hurdles (1:00.20) and 800-meters (2:07.96), respectively. Junior Saraque Whittaker was the top collegiate finisher in the 400-meters posting an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 53.31.

The 4×400 meter relay team of Terria Madison, Wade, senior Jenise Winston, and freshman Amber Williams placed first with a provisional qualifying time of 3:38.11.

The Miami Hurricanes men’s track and field team also fared well at the Gatorade Classic. Special highlights included UM senior Jeff Gaulrapp’s first place finish in the 3,000-meter steeplechase at his final Cobb Stadium appearance with a time of 9:18.51. Junior Dan Boniface placed second with a time of 9:33.71. Both had NCAA qualifying times for the Outdoor Championship meet.

The men’s 4×100-meter relay team of sophomore Willis McGahee, freshman Kelly Jennings, freshman Tanard Davis, and Rose Bowl MVP junior Andre Johnson recorded a time of 40.86 to achieve its first win of the season.

Four of the men’s pole-vaulters registered provisional qualifying marks. Senior All-American Aaron Moser placed third with a vault of 4.73 meters and sophomore Aaron Bass placed fifth with a vault of 4.58 meters. Freshman Chris Centrich and sophomore Jon Mark placed eighth and ninth, respectively with marks of 4.43 meters each.

The Women’s and Men’s Track and Field teams will compete next at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on April 25-27.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...