Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL
The Charlotte Touchdown Club and the Football Writers Association of America have announced the 2002 watch list of candidates for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, awarded annually to the nation’s top defensive college player, and three members of the Miami Hurricanes defense are among the 64 players listed. Defensive tackle William Joseph, defensive end Jerome McDougle and middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma are the three Miami defensive stars who made the preseason list. Joseph (Miami, Fla./Edison HS) led the team in quarterback sacks (10 for 69 yards) and tackles for loss (19 for 85 yards) last season and ranked fourth on the team in tackles with 61. McDougle (Pompano Beach, Fla./Ely HS) emerged as one of the nation’s finest defensive ends in 2001. Vilma (Coral Gables, Fla./Coral Gables HS) led the team in tackles last year with 79 (54 solos) in his first season as a starter. Two Miami Hurricanes – Warren Sapp (1994) and Dan Morgan (2000) – have been awarded the Bronko Nagurski Trophy in past years.

MEN’S
BASKETBALL

University of Miami seniors John Salmons and Elton Tyler were both selected in the 2002 United States Basketball Association draft on Wednesday. Tyler was selected by the Brevard Blue Ducks with the 15th overall pick, while Salmons was taken by the Florida Sea Dragons with the 35th overall pick. Salmons, a second-team All-Big East selection, averaged 13.1 points, 6.0 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.8 steals per game this season. Tyler, the only Hurricane to compete in four NCAA Tournaments, averaged 11.9 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks last season. The two seniors led Miami to a 24-8 record and the school’s fourth NCAA tournament berth in the last five seasons. Miami’s 24 wins were the most in school-history. The Hurricanes lost 93-80 to Missouri in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.

MEN’S TENNIS

The No. 43-ranked Miami men’s tennis team defeated No. 46 Georgia Tech, 4-3, in its regular-season finale on Sunday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center. The Hurricanes (10-8) opened the match strong taking the doubles point. Joel Berman and Tarik El Bassiouni teamed up to beat Joao Menano and David Wright, 8-6, at No. 2 doubles, while Jose Lieberman and Andrew Golub defeated Roger Anderson and Fabio Campos, 8-4, to give Miami the 1-0 advantage. In singles action, Lieberman downed the Jackets West Nott at No. 5, winning in straight sets by a count of 6-3, 6-4. El Bassiouni defeated Tech’s Stephen Moros at No. 6 by scores of 6-1 and 6-4. A pair of three-set matches decided the final outcome as both the No. 1 and 2 singles matches went the distance. Miami wrapped up the match at No. 2, as Tomas Smid defeated the Jackets’ David Wright after Wright won the first set by a 6-4 score. Smid then rallied to win the next two sets by scores of 6-1 and 6-4. At the No. 1 position Tech’s 35th-ranked Roger Anderson and Miami’s 16th-ranked Todd Widom put on outstanding display with Anderson winning in an epic third-set tiebreaker. The Hurricanes return home to host the BIG EAST Tennis Championship April 19-21.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...