Savor culinary messages

Green and red peppers feel frustrated and are on the brink of launching a gastronomical nuclear war. So are oranges, cereals, strawberries, chickpeas, cookies, and grapes. Not to say anything of breads and cheeses. They are incredibly angry over what they perceived to be their systematic abuse-and our own too. Before we know it, they will rebel and they will have no one to blame but one another.

Vegetables, fruits, meats, treats-you name it-are grossly misunderstood in this country. Most Americans, it seems, don’t take the time to listen to their food-even as their stomachs churn, their waists widen and their hearts stiffen. Look around. Watch what people eat and watch how they it eat. On the patio, in restaurants, in TV ads, even in American movies. (Ever noticed food and mealtimes play a more prominent role in European, Asian and Latin American films?) Most people don’t take the time to enjoy their food, to experience their food. Most fail to realize that food plays a paramount role in interpersonal and intra-personal communication.

The eclectic tastes, textures and aromas of the culinary concoctions we design and ingest say a lot about who we are, what we want, and who we want to be. Our meals change our emotions; they are also vehicles of our emotions. They let others know how we feel about them and how we feel about ourselves. They also tell us know how we feel about ourselves.

An airy quiche coupled with a brisk salad of tomatoes, olives, walnuts, onions and green peppers, lightly flavored with olive oil and red wine vinegar may say we feel fresh, friendly, healthy, and relaxed. A bowl of warm polenta could transmit our inner warmth. Curried chicken with rice, lightly saut

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...