Psychology Fair shared diverse topics

What is the connection between social play and cocaine? What exactly causes adolescent dating anxiety?

Over thirty graduates and half a dozen undergraduates from the department of psychology displayed their recent work on such projects at the second Annual Psychology Research fair last Saturday.

These research projects were supervised by mentors within the psychology department.

“It’s a chance for undergraduate students to get hooked up with a research project, with a prepared, informed knowledge base,” said coordinator and psychology lecturer Victoria Noriega. “A chance to explore the possibilities, see what’s out there, and get to know the people who are doing this research.”

Noriega, her peer advisors, and other faculty in the psychology department, planned for and set up the second annual Psychology Research Fair, located upstairs in the University Center.

There were four oral presentations, round table discussions, and poster exhibits. Breakfast and lunch were served.

“Interactive events [like the research fair]will accomplish great things for the psychology department,” said undergraduate peer advisor Jennifer Hestand as she defended a poster on the interactions between social information processing and Sickle Cell Disease.

Hestand, along with many others at the fair, said they put great faith in the community atmosphere that is developing within the department.

Annmarie Bramwell, one of the graduate student speakers, presented her study on the efficacy of neuroprotective treatments, such as hypothermia and immuno-suppressants, on neuronal cell death in rats following closed head injury.

Through her research, Bramwell is studying possible procedures to be used to relieve brain damage following severe trauma.

“Here we can expose students to what’s going on in the department. People are too focused on what they are doing,” Bramwell said. “As they become more specialized, they become more separated.”

Noriega said she hopes that social events like these will “help to make the department a community in itself, where the people who belong to it feel like they belong to it.”

In combining social events with academics, Noriega said she hopes to get her students and faculty members to click.

Chairman Dr. Rod Wellens said that the new building for the department, located near the parking garage, and scheduled for completion next spring, will bring further unity to the highly diverse department, which currently occupies over half a dozen buildings.

He said that communication and coordination will be simpler, faster, and smoother, with the assistance of programs such as the Research Fair, he said.

Other oral presentations covered such topics as HIV disease progression, the development of the Mental Stimulation Questionnaire, and adolescent dating anxiety.

Other students featured their research on varied topics of stress and coping, chronic fatigue syndrome, learning, and social play interaction among cocaine exposed toddlers.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...