Dancing, learning, fun on UC Patio

“Aloha!”

Friday night UM students, family, and friends, took a journey through the South Pacific as the islands of Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa, and Aotearoa, New Zealand were brought to the Coral Gables campus.

“Its so much fun, every year attendance gets bigger and bigger,” said senior Nalani Arnold, who has performed at this event for the past three years.

Entertainment was provided by the much-acclaimed Drums of Polynesia, who livened up the crowd with their traditional songs and dances.

One of the evening’s highlights was New Zealand’s “War Dance,” which was once used during battle to intimidate the enemy.

With feet stomping and boisterous chanting, the men from Drums of Polynesia adorned with ornate costumes, captivated onlookers.

Ever heard of a “Fire Dance?”

The audience at this Hawaiian Luau experienced firsthand the astounding and very dangerous dance.

Using two batons lighted on fire at both ends, a Samoan performer threw the “knives” high in the air catching them just seconds before hitting the ground. He held the burning “knives” between his legs, and also executed many other hazardous stunts.

As the night progressed, members from the crowd were chosen to take center stage with the male and female dancers from Drums of Polynesia and show off their dancing skills. Hips jetted from side-to-side, feet rhythmically tapped the floor, and legs vigorously maneuvered these dancers into a Polynesian state of mind.

The university’s very own hula dancers also enhanced the evening with their bright blue floral skirts and enchanting moves they had been practicing twice a week, they said.

Attendees’ hunger was satisfied with authentic Polynesian cuisine, and souvenirs such as T-shirts, picture frames, and other arts and crafts.

A raffle was held and tickets could be acquired for $1.

The winners walked away with boxes of chocolates, flower arrangements, and gift certificates to The Rusty Pelican for a romantic dinner for two.

As the adventure through the South Seas came to an end, audience members walked away feeling euphoric, for they had experienced customs from another part of the world- the main goal of International month, organizers said.

To learn more about the Hawaiian performers Drums of Polynesia, visit them at their website at www.drumsofpolynesia.com.

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

Jimmy Murphy insists his life hasn't changed (much) after his internet-breaking touchdown and c ...

Hurricanes standouts Mykea Gray and Beatrice Mompremier have the opportunity of a lifetime this week ...

Miami Athletics announced Wednesday the completion of the new Boich Family Scoreboard at the Neil Sc ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba, the reigning NCAA singles champion, opens the 2019-20 season ranked second i ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...