Dancing, learning, fun on UC Patio

“Aloha!”

Friday night UM students, family, and friends, took a journey through the South Pacific as the islands of Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa, and Aotearoa, New Zealand were brought to the Coral Gables campus.

“Its so much fun, every year attendance gets bigger and bigger,” said senior Nalani Arnold, who has performed at this event for the past three years.

Entertainment was provided by the much-acclaimed Drums of Polynesia, who livened up the crowd with their traditional songs and dances.

One of the evening’s highlights was New Zealand’s “War Dance,” which was once used during battle to intimidate the enemy.

With feet stomping and boisterous chanting, the men from Drums of Polynesia adorned with ornate costumes, captivated onlookers.

Ever heard of a “Fire Dance?”

The audience at this Hawaiian Luau experienced firsthand the astounding and very dangerous dance.

Using two batons lighted on fire at both ends, a Samoan performer threw the “knives” high in the air catching them just seconds before hitting the ground. He held the burning “knives” between his legs, and also executed many other hazardous stunts.

As the night progressed, members from the crowd were chosen to take center stage with the male and female dancers from Drums of Polynesia and show off their dancing skills. Hips jetted from side-to-side, feet rhythmically tapped the floor, and legs vigorously maneuvered these dancers into a Polynesian state of mind.

The university’s very own hula dancers also enhanced the evening with their bright blue floral skirts and enchanting moves they had been practicing twice a week, they said.

Attendees’ hunger was satisfied with authentic Polynesian cuisine, and souvenirs such as T-shirts, picture frames, and other arts and crafts.

A raffle was held and tickets could be acquired for $1.

The winners walked away with boxes of chocolates, flower arrangements, and gift certificates to The Rusty Pelican for a romantic dinner for two.

As the adventure through the South Seas came to an end, audience members walked away feeling euphoric, for they had experienced customs from another part of the world- the main goal of International month, organizers said.

To learn more about the Hawaiian performers Drums of Polynesia, visit them at their website at www.drumsofpolynesia.com.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...