Where to go?

What are you doing this weekend? If you answered a) the Grove, b) the Beach, or c) all of the above, then you’ll probably run into a bunch of students who claim the Grove and the Beach to be favorite nighttime hangouts.

So which of these hot spots is better? It all depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re tight on cash and are just looking for a bar at which you can casually hang out, you’d probably have a good time at the Grove. But if you want more selection for clubs and dining, and feel like dressing up and being seen, then you’d probably bypass the Grove and hit the Beach. What did other students pick?

Here are some of their favorite places:

GROVE: Monty’s

Monty’s is a tropical outdoor restaurant and bar, where live bands play island music at night. The parties are free, and Friday afternoons are busy for happy hour from 5-8 p.m.

“Monty’s is a place to relieve all that pent up weekly stress over some drinks and conversation with all of your friends,” said freshman Chris Nolte.

GROVE: Tavern

The Tavern is a student favorite, where a tight budget can lend itself to a good time. It provides a casual atmosphere and attracts mostly the beer-drinking crowd.

“The Tavern was an emotional rollercoaster. I laughed, I cried, I vomited due to the ridiculous amount of alcohol I consumed,” said junior Matthew Conway. “The Tavern is definitely a Coconut Grove original.”

GROVE: Improv

The Improv Comedy Club is unique to the Grove in that it is Miami’s best place to see famous comedians. Weekend shows are Friday at 8:30 and 10:45 p.m. and Saturday at 7:45 and 10 p.m. and 12 a.m. All shows for crowds 21 and over except for the Saturday midnight show, which is 18 and over.

“I love going to the Improv because it’s something to do where you can just relax and have a good laugh, and it’s a great alternative to the movie,” said sophomore Natalie Rico.

SOBE: Level

1235 Washington Ave.

Level is a South Beach club based on the format of Studio 54. It is for revelers 21 and over and features Latin-Euro sounds on Wednesdays, retro night on Thursdays, and international disc jockeys and live shows on the weekends.

“Level is my favorite South Beach club because the bouncers are really cool,” said freshman Mark Juliano.

SOBE: Honey

645 Washington Ave.

Honey is one of Washington Avenue’s newest tenants, and it is quickly gaining popularity. One thing that attracts club-goers is its sophisticated, posh atmosphere and European-style music.

“I love Honey because it’s somewhere I can get dressed up to go to. It’s more of a lounge than a club, and there is a great crowd,” said freshman Yasmina Abajas.

SOBE: Lincoln Road

Lincoln Road is a South Beach street where one can find everything from excellent restaurants to boutiques to one of Miami’s best movie theatres. It is just as right to dress formally as it is to wear rollerblades and a swimsuit at any time of day. Since it’s leisurely, unlike Ocean Drive, one can enjoy the street performers and craft vendors that line the famous strip.

“I like Lincoln Road because of the amount of interesting people there at the same time. Besides people, there’s tons of restaurants, shops, and eclectic boutiques,” said freshman Cindy Wong.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...