Where to go?

What are you doing this weekend? If you answered a) the Grove, b) the Beach, or c) all of the above, then you’ll probably run into a bunch of students who claim the Grove and the Beach to be favorite nighttime hangouts.

So which of these hot spots is better? It all depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re tight on cash and are just looking for a bar at which you can casually hang out, you’d probably have a good time at the Grove. But if you want more selection for clubs and dining, and feel like dressing up and being seen, then you’d probably bypass the Grove and hit the Beach. What did other students pick?

Here are some of their favorite places:

GROVE: Monty’s

Monty’s is a tropical outdoor restaurant and bar, where live bands play island music at night. The parties are free, and Friday afternoons are busy for happy hour from 5-8 p.m.

“Monty’s is a place to relieve all that pent up weekly stress over some drinks and conversation with all of your friends,” said freshman Chris Nolte.

GROVE: Tavern

The Tavern is a student favorite, where a tight budget can lend itself to a good time. It provides a casual atmosphere and attracts mostly the beer-drinking crowd.

“The Tavern was an emotional rollercoaster. I laughed, I cried, I vomited due to the ridiculous amount of alcohol I consumed,” said junior Matthew Conway. “The Tavern is definitely a Coconut Grove original.”

GROVE: Improv

The Improv Comedy Club is unique to the Grove in that it is Miami’s best place to see famous comedians. Weekend shows are Friday at 8:30 and 10:45 p.m. and Saturday at 7:45 and 10 p.m. and 12 a.m. All shows for crowds 21 and over except for the Saturday midnight show, which is 18 and over.

“I love going to the Improv because it’s something to do where you can just relax and have a good laugh, and it’s a great alternative to the movie,” said sophomore Natalie Rico.

SOBE: Level

1235 Washington Ave.

Level is a South Beach club based on the format of Studio 54. It is for revelers 21 and over and features Latin-Euro sounds on Wednesdays, retro night on Thursdays, and international disc jockeys and live shows on the weekends.

“Level is my favorite South Beach club because the bouncers are really cool,” said freshman Mark Juliano.

SOBE: Honey

645 Washington Ave.

Honey is one of Washington Avenue’s newest tenants, and it is quickly gaining popularity. One thing that attracts club-goers is its sophisticated, posh atmosphere and European-style music.

“I love Honey because it’s somewhere I can get dressed up to go to. It’s more of a lounge than a club, and there is a great crowd,” said freshman Yasmina Abajas.

SOBE: Lincoln Road

Lincoln Road is a South Beach street where one can find everything from excellent restaurants to boutiques to one of Miami’s best movie theatres. It is just as right to dress formally as it is to wear rollerblades and a swimsuit at any time of day. Since it’s leisurely, unlike Ocean Drive, one can enjoy the street performers and craft vendors that line the famous strip.

“I like Lincoln Road because of the amount of interesting people there at the same time. Besides people, there’s tons of restaurants, shops, and eclectic boutiques,” said freshman Cindy Wong.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...