Todd Widom shines despite team’s poor play

The University of Miami men’s tennis team has had a tough season. Coming into this weekend, the Hurricanes sit at 8-8 overall, but they have had one bright point — the play of freshman Todd Widom.

Widom has been ranked as high as No. 12 in the nation and he currently sits as the No. 16 player in the country. Widom is 14-2 in league play, which is no easy task.

“Todd has been a very pleasant surprise. Going 14-2 is not easy to do,” said men’s tennis coach Jay Berger.

Perhaps the biggest surprise about Widom’s success comes from Todd himself. Widom knew he was a very good tennis player, but he had no idea that his success would come so soon.

“I didn’t have many expectations coming into the year,” said Widom. “I didn’t know where I was going to be in the lineup.”

Widom’s tennis success started well before the University of Miami. His favorite sports memory is from high school, when he won the National Claycourts in Kentucky while having the entire crowd against him.

“All I had was my mom and a coach there. I had to battle a rough crowd and it made winning so much sweeter. . . I am definitely a fighter, I never give up,” said Widom about his victory in the National Claycourts.

The J.P. Taravella high school graduate from Coral Springs, FL has taken his tennis game to Miami, where he is just grateful for the opportunity that Miami has given him.

“Todd happens to be one of the nicest guys you’ll meet,” Berger said. “He appreciates this opportunity at the University of Miami. He takes nothing for granted and works hard every single day.”

Widom does not have many expectations, but he does have some goals that he set for himself. First, he wants the team to win. As far as for himself, Widom has accomplished the goals that he set for himself as a freshman at UM.

“I wanted to be an All-American as a freshman and I wanted to play in the NCAA Tournament,” said Widom.

Widom will represent UM in men’s singles at the NCAA Tournament. As the No. 16 player in the nation, he will be a definite threat to come home with the singles title. Perhaps the best thing about Widom on the tennis court is that the best is yet to come. He will continue to improve and will be even better for UM next season.

“I expect him to dominate college next year,” said Berger.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...