Ben Kweller: Boy Genius

While most 20-year-olds are holding thankless jobs or going to college, Ben Kweller is on the right path to rock and roll stardom.

The multi-talented solo artist mixes rock, pop, and folk into the beautiful, catchy songs that make up his full-length debut album Sha Sha, released last month under ATO Records. Currently he is on the middle of a cross-country tour with fellow future superstars The Anniversary and Dashboard Confessional, which already have large fan bases.

However, this is not the first time Kweller shares the stage with relatively big names in the music world. Over the past year, he toured with Juliana Hatfield, Evan Dando, Eels, Jeff Tweedy and Creeper Lagoon, among others.

What makes Kweller excel from the crowd of young singer songwriters is his skill and utter control over various instruments, specially the guitar and piano, and the emotional outburst in his voice and lyrics. These are clearly visible in the standout tracks from Sha Sha, Wasted and Ready and In Other Words.

In 1993, the Texas-native lead the grunge-oriented trio Radish, but after touring, recording and creating a name for themselves, they disbanded in 1999. Shortly after the break up, Kweller moved to Brooklyn to work on a solo career.

After releasing Freak Out its Ben Kweller and EP Phone Home, Kweller decided to go into the studio and, with friends backing him in the instruments, record a less acoustic and more rock- focused album. Critics and music fans welcomed Sha Sha warmly because of its creative, eclectic and oddly pleasant sound.

The Dashboard Confessional, Anniversary and Kweller will be performing next Wednesday, April 17 in Boynton Beach, Fla. as part of their U.S. tour.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...