Students share views of on campus housing

March 25th marked the beginning of the fall housing sign-up, kicking off with apartment sign up, and following up with suites, towers, and summer school housing respectively.

Students received letters in early March from the Department of Residence Halls outlining the advantages that the forty percent of the student population living on campus have.

On campus living provides an opportunity to participate in various student clubs and organizations as well as events.

“As a commuter student I wasn’t involved in organizations, but when you live on campus, whether you like it or not, you’re faced with events, you’re aware of everything. It’s easier to join a lot of things,” said junior Michael Rubino, a former commuter turned dorm resident.

The on campus community provides the opportunity to interact with other students via residential activities and close living space, Erica Shinholser, a sophomore, said.

“My social life definitely revolves around the dorm and people that I work with and live with,” Shinholser said.

“I learn a lot more about myself by interacting with different people in reaction to different personalities,” said Rubino.

Ted Dallman, a three-year Rosborough Tower resident says that “the communal bathrooms, like any bathroom, can really stink sometimes, but at least I don’t have to clean them – UNICCO does, and it’s also the trick to meeting everyone on your floor.”

Some students feel that living on campus not only enhances their lives socially but academically as well. Easy access to computer labs, resident faculty, and the closeness of classrooms and the library are convenient for on campus students.

“I’ve adapted quite well to living on campus. I think a big part of being happy is choosing the right person to live with and realize that every morning you can wake up 5 minutes before class and still be on time,” Dallman said.

The social dormitory atmosphere can be distracting,however, on campus residents said.

Freshman Allison Adamo, Miami resident, admitted that distractions could hinder academics.

“I usually go home and study. It’s a lot easier to be distracted here because there is so much going on,” Adamo said.

Chartwells, the dinning hall, although convenient, lacks the variety and quality some students demand, they said.

Stephanie Halpin, a sophomore in Mahoney says that living on campus also means having “a place to eat all the time – even though some students don’t regard Chartwells as food, you don’t have to worry about where to go when you’re hungry.”

“Chartwells after two years gets kind of old…The opportunity [to cook]is there, but I’d rather use my own kitchen than someone else’s kitchen,” said Shinholser.

Rubino provided this advice to those planning to live on campus.

“By living on campus you get to experience the true college atmosphere,” said Rubino. “Be open. Prepare yourself to experience a lot of different things.”

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...