Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD

University of Miami senior Gus Martin finished 10th in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.28 at the 75th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in Austin, TX. In the pole vault competition, UM senior Aaron Moser finished sixth with a leap of 5.10 meters (16-08.75) while junior Jabari Ennis took ninth with a vault of 4.95 meters (16-02.75). On the women’s side, University of Miami All-American Kareen Clarke finished second in the triple jump with an NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 13.28 meters (43-07.25). The 4×200-meter relay finished fifth in a time of 1:37.76, while the 4×100-meter relay took seventh with a time of 45.50. The 4×400-meter relay finished eighth with a time of 3:44.02. Miami returns to action on Saturday, April 13 when it hosts the 16th Annual Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic at Cobb Stadium for Soccer, Track and Field in Coral Gables, FL.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The No. 27-ranked Miami women’s tennis team fell, 4-3, to No. 66 Michigan in a close match Friday afternoon in Ann Arbor, Mich. Miami falls to 11-5 overall while Michigan improves to 8-8 on the season.
The Wolverines won the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Marcy Hora and Mari Toro beat Michelle DaCosta and Leanne Rutherford, 9-8 (3) at No. 1 doubles to avoid the sweep. Toro defeated Kavitha Tipirneni, 3-6, 7-6 (3), 6-2, at the No.1 spot, while Staci Stevens beat Chrissie Nolan, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 3 singles. Sara Robbins was the other singles winner for UM, beating Kim Plaushines, 6-4, 6-4, at the No. 6 spot. Sihem Bennacer and Ewelina Skaza both fell in three hard fought sets at No. 4 and No. 5 singles. The Hurricanes play No. 23 Notre Dame Sunday at Noon in South Bend, Indiana

WOMEN’S GOLF

University of Miami sophomore Camilla Hilland recorded her second consecutive 2-under-par 70 on Saturday and shot a 79 on Sunday to win the Ryder/Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championship by one stroke with a score of 219. Hilland, who has recorded five top-10’s in eight events this season, is the first Hurricane since Tracy Kerdyk in 1988 to win the state championship. Florida State’s Kristin Tamulis of FSU (71-75-74-220) finished in second place. Florida State (293-300-307-900) won the team competition by eleven strokes over defending champion Florida (305-294-312-911). Miami (311-301-318-930) finished in fourth place.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...