Hispanic radio should remain as is

If you speak Spanish, even if just a little bit, tune into one of the local Hispanic radio stations while you furiously speed along U.S. 1 to hunt for a parking space. You might be surprised by what you hear. Between the sultry sounds of Paulina Rubio, Carlos Vives and Alejandro Sanz, you’ll hear a cocktail of racial slurs, lewd sexual innuendo, homophobic jokes and the Spanish version of George Carlin’s seven dirty words.

All of these are inadmissible in American media, for the most part at least, especially during the day. But these stations are not really part of the American media. They’re in a very peculiar niche of it: the American Hispanic media.

Hispanics are not (and, hopefully, will never be) exactly like Americans. And, so, we shouldn’t try and shape them, or their media, by holding them to American standards. Hispanics have their own way of hosting, and of hearing and understanding. They carry their own cultural baggage and conceptions while listening or talking to each other–something that many non-Hispanics may not grasp and by which they may even be offended. That is somewhat comparable to what a Polish foreign student who just arrived in the United States might feel when listening to the usually harmless local jokes.

While the United States has the tendency to have a false Puritanism, Hispanics usually don’t. And the last thing I’d like to see would be for Hispanic broadcasters to simply try and copy the American way while they are on the air.

The Federal Communication Commission, with its 1927 and 1934 acts, sought to distribute the licenses for radio stations based on the “best qualified to serve the public convenience, interest, or necessity.” Radio stations should be representative of the public it serves, transmitting the information and culture in a way that not only they can understand, but also that they need.

It’s one thing to think of Hispanic stations as “Latin versions of the American media.” On one hand, radio stations that broadcast in Spanish are making information available to those that either don’t understand English well enough- something pretty common in Miami- or just feel more comfortable with Spanish.

After all, there are almost 13,000 different K’s and W’s spread throughout this land, but only five percent carry the idiom of Gabriel Garc

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...