Hispanic radio should remain as is

If you speak Spanish, even if just a little bit, tune into one of the local Hispanic radio stations while you furiously speed along U.S. 1 to hunt for a parking space. You might be surprised by what you hear. Between the sultry sounds of Paulina Rubio, Carlos Vives and Alejandro Sanz, you’ll hear a cocktail of racial slurs, lewd sexual innuendo, homophobic jokes and the Spanish version of George Carlin’s seven dirty words.

All of these are inadmissible in American media, for the most part at least, especially during the day. But these stations are not really part of the American media. They’re in a very peculiar niche of it: the American Hispanic media.

Hispanics are not (and, hopefully, will never be) exactly like Americans. And, so, we shouldn’t try and shape them, or their media, by holding them to American standards. Hispanics have their own way of hosting, and of hearing and understanding. They carry their own cultural baggage and conceptions while listening or talking to each other–something that many non-Hispanics may not grasp and by which they may even be offended. That is somewhat comparable to what a Polish foreign student who just arrived in the United States might feel when listening to the usually harmless local jokes.

While the United States has the tendency to have a false Puritanism, Hispanics usually don’t. And the last thing I’d like to see would be for Hispanic broadcasters to simply try and copy the American way while they are on the air.

The Federal Communication Commission, with its 1927 and 1934 acts, sought to distribute the licenses for radio stations based on the “best qualified to serve the public convenience, interest, or necessity.” Radio stations should be representative of the public it serves, transmitting the information and culture in a way that not only they can understand, but also that they need.

It’s one thing to think of Hispanic stations as “Latin versions of the American media.” On one hand, radio stations that broadcast in Spanish are making information available to those that either don’t understand English well enough- something pretty common in Miami- or just feel more comfortable with Spanish.

After all, there are almost 13,000 different K’s and W’s spread throughout this land, but only five percent carry the idiom of Gabriel Garc

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...