‘Elements Spring Breakdown’ moves UM

University hip-hop fans were treated to a weekend of emcee battles, disc jockey competitions, and a session of insider advice at “Elements Spring Breakdown” last Friday and Saturday. The cultural event, the first hosted by University of Miami’s Hip-Hop Club, celebrated the roots of the music genre with a list of guests that included Eminem’s former manager, local and national disc jockeys and break dancers.

The free, two-day event was held at the UNIVERSITY CENTER and was open to the public.

Lenny Kagan, a rapper who co-founded the Hip-Hop Club and is a UM alumnus, oversaw the event, which started at 6:30 p.m. with an open floor for break dancing in the breezeway of the University Center.

An open mike for freestyle poetry and spoken word was also part of the music fest.

Later on, a panel of guest speakers, including Mark Kemp, Eminem’s former manager, gathered at the Storm Surge Caf

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...