Culture

‘Elements Spring Breakdown’ moves UM

University hip-hop fans were treated to a weekend of emcee battles, disc jockey competitions, and a session of insider advice at “Elements Spring Breakdown” last Friday and Saturday. The cultural event, the first hosted by University of Miami’s Hip-Hop Club, celebrated the roots of the music genre with a list of guests that included Eminem’s former manager, local and national disc jockeys and break dancers.

The free, two-day event was held at the UNIVERSITY CENTER and was open to the public.

Lenny Kagan, a rapper who co-founded the Hip-Hop Club and is a UM alumnus, oversaw the event, which started at 6:30 p.m. with an open floor for break dancing in the breezeway of the University Center.

An open mike for freestyle poetry and spoken word was also part of the music fest.

Later on, a panel of guest speakers, including Mark Kemp, Eminem’s former manager, gathered at the Storm Surge Caf

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...