‘Canes playbook ends up on Internet

How do you stop a team that has dominated the college football landscape over the past two seasons?

According to the defending national champions, you’re not going to do it by stealing their playbooks.

That move was attempted last month when two UM playbooks, full of alignments and formations used during the 2001 title run, were stolen from linebacker coach Vernon Hargreaves’ office and posted on the web site “Sandman’s 4-3 Defense Online.”

However, last Thursday, the team dismissed the importance of the matter, indicating that there were better ways of figuring out the Hurricanes’ schemes than studying playbooks.

“It does have some drawings in it, but it’s all fluff,” UM coach Larry Coker said. “I’d give them all playbooks if they wouldn’t watch the game films. The video is more helpful than the playbook would be.”

“They can watch film and know what plays we’re running, but the way we disguise them, that’s not in the playbook. We change that from week to week so it’s doesn’t really matter anyway,” said senior defensive tackle Matt Walters.

Although the issue is being downplayed, stolen property did appear on the Internet, causing the FBI to be involved.

Potential charges could include burglary, theft, possession of stolen property and possibly federal crimes.

According to a police report filed with the Coral Gables Police Department, UM realized the offensive and defensive playbooks were missing March 28 when two manila envelopes were delivered to the Hecht Athletic Center.

Defensive coordinator Randy Shannon opened the envelopes, postmarked in Tampa on March 22, and found the pages taken out of the playbooks.

Once the pages were received, Miami officials found their formations on the Web site, which is now inaccessible.

Coral Gables Police Sgt. Ed Hudak, in charge of team security, said the owners of the site have been identified and “subpoenas are being filed and sent out.”

“The focus of our investigation is twofold – how it got stolen and how it got disseminated through the Internet and if in fact there’s a federal crime of dispersing stolen information on the Internet,” Hudak said.

According to Hudak, there have been prior thefts from the football offices involving “footballs and autographed paraphernalia” but never playbooks. He said he wouldn’t rule out the possibility that someone from inside the athletic department committed the crime.

UM Athletic Director Paul Dee said the theft was “disappointing” and that he’s planning to look into security measures around the Hecht Athletic Center.

“You don’t know exactly how that might have happened,” Dee said. “By and large, it’s infrequent. We try and watch out for those things, we protect the equipment, we try to take care of all of our equipment the same way and when we have a loss we have to look into why we lost it.”

Senior Center Brett Romberg said a playbook was stolen last year, except “it just never got out.” Coker, however, denied that that any playbook was stolen.

Either way, coaches and players agree that this minor distraction will not be an issue when they resume practice in the fall.

“It happened last year, it happened this year and it’ll probably happen again next year,” Romberg said. “We still won a national championship last year, so I’m not too worried about it at all.”

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...