An ode to alternate transportation

My car died. When I say that, I don’t mean she broke down on the side of the road and I had to get her towed to a mechanic’s shop; I mean she died. Gave up the ghost. Went kaput. Keeled over. Kicked the bucket.

This happened two weeks ago. It all started with a grinding sound when I tried to put her in reverse. Then it was a battle to get her in first, then second gear.

I knew the old Subaru’s days were numbered, so I went to the bike shop to pick out the new mode of transportation that would get me around town and strengthen my legs until I get a job.

The wagon croaked on the way home.

I could feel her going into gear for the last time, so I lumbered down Coral Way and Miracle Mile in first, turned onto Segovia, then my street, and I rolled her into the parking spot under the tree, where she has been sitting ever since.

Biking is not so bad. It was at first – the ache in my thighs was like the creaking of a rusty hinge on an old door; the pain of pushing forward tasted like blood in my mouth.

I am not an athletic person. The only sport I did in high school was swimming; I think I chose that one because it didn’t get me sweaty. This lack of desire for physical exertion means that any sweating or hard breathing has to have a point, like getting home from class.

Since I’ve taken up trekking on two wheels everywhere I go, though, I feel like I’ve been given a new city. I see people now. I hear things, too – the sounds of traffic, of birds, of construction and the catcalls of the builders. My only radio is my own thoughts and the repeated song of “Push forward, keep going, you are almost there.”

Two days a week I teach downtown, and much to the disbelief of my friends, I have been following the little path under the Metro, crossing over the highway at Viscaya, riding down the sidewalk on Brickell, and chaining my bike to a street sign outside the SunTrust building. I see it ahead of me tall in the distance and internally calculate how many rises and falls of my calves it will take me to get there.

I feel a new ownership of my body, a new relationship with food and with legs I used to look in the mirror and just see as huge. Now they are my propulsion, my motion, and my own empowerment.

I’m learning to wait: I wait for buses, I wait for the Metro, and I wait for rides. I’d been a driver for almost ten years when things slowed down for me – making me wait for my body to propel me to the next block.

It is good, this new transportation, and it has me thinking about the immediacy and the instant arrival that cars provide. I wonder what our ever more instantaneous travel does for our understanding of the distance of things, the delay of our gratification, and our ability to keep moving when our bodies are weary and our minds impatient to be done.

I appreciate anew the irony and luxury of sitting in front of a computer screen all day using nothing but the muscles in our fingers, and then paying money to go to a place to pick up heavy objects just for the purpose of having sculpted arms.

I am sure that soon these legs that these days push the pedals through intersections and across overpasses will apply brakes and accelerate once again. But for now they will work as they were meant to work and carry me wherever it is I need to go today.

Angie Henderson is a graduate student in the School of International Studies

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...