Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The No. 26-ranked Miami women’s tennis team remains undefeated at home beating visiting Central Florida, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Hurricanes improve to 11-4 overall and 8-0 at home, while the Golden Knights fall to 7-9 overall. UM swept the doubles point winning all three doubles matches. The Hurricanes went on to win five-of-six singles matches.
Senior Marcy Hora won her final home match of the season at the No. 3 spot. Hora beat Marieke Gunawan, 6-0, 6-0. Mari Toro improves to 20-9 overall with a, 6-2, 6-0, win over Emmanuelle Sauze at No. 1 singles.
Staci Stevens beat Anna Westin, 6-0, 6-4, at the No. 2 spot, while Ewelina Skaza improved to 11-4 overall with a, 4-6, 6-1, 10-8, win over Kristina Lohmos at No. 5 singles. Sara Robbins rounded out the lineup with a win over Amira Samara, 7-5, 6-0, at No. 6. The Hurricanes return to action travelling to face No. 58 Michigan Friday at 1:30 p.m.

MEN’S AND WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD

Miami senior Jeff Gaulrapp and junior Dan Boniface qualified for the Big East Championships in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, and Matt Mulvaney qualified for the Big East Championships in 10,000-meters at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, NC. Gaulrapp finished fifth in the steeplechase with a time of 9:10 while Boniface, the school-record holder in the event, took 17th with a time of 9:29. Mulvaney recorded a Big East qualifying time of 31:39 in 10,000-meter run. The University of Miami women’s 4×400-meter relay finished second with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 3:34.21 Saturday at the Florida Relays, while senior Jennifer Geroux and junior Melissa Norris qualified for the Big East Championships in the 10,000-meters at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, NC. Miami returns to action April 4-6 at the Texas Relays in Austin, TX.

CANESFEST

Saturday marks the first time fans can see the 2002 Miami Hurricanes as they participate in a scrimmage at the Orange Bowl, part of CanesFest 2002. The fun begins at 8:00 a.m., when gates open. At that time, Select-A-Seat also begins and Hurricane Locker Room and Touchdown Alley both open. Head Coach Larry Coker will participate in a 9:30 a.m. question and answer session in the Athletic Club. The scrimmage begins at 10:00 a.m., and immediately following the game, there will be a 30-minute autograph session with players and coaches.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...