Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The No. 26-ranked Miami women’s tennis team remains undefeated at home beating visiting Central Florida, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Hurricanes improve to 11-4 overall and 8-0 at home, while the Golden Knights fall to 7-9 overall. UM swept the doubles point winning all three doubles matches. The Hurricanes went on to win five-of-six singles matches.
Senior Marcy Hora won her final home match of the season at the No. 3 spot. Hora beat Marieke Gunawan, 6-0, 6-0. Mari Toro improves to 20-9 overall with a, 6-2, 6-0, win over Emmanuelle Sauze at No. 1 singles.
Staci Stevens beat Anna Westin, 6-0, 6-4, at the No. 2 spot, while Ewelina Skaza improved to 11-4 overall with a, 4-6, 6-1, 10-8, win over Kristina Lohmos at No. 5 singles. Sara Robbins rounded out the lineup with a win over Amira Samara, 7-5, 6-0, at No. 6. The Hurricanes return to action travelling to face No. 58 Michigan Friday at 1:30 p.m.

MEN’S AND WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD

Miami senior Jeff Gaulrapp and junior Dan Boniface qualified for the Big East Championships in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, and Matt Mulvaney qualified for the Big East Championships in 10,000-meters at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, NC. Gaulrapp finished fifth in the steeplechase with a time of 9:10 while Boniface, the school-record holder in the event, took 17th with a time of 9:29. Mulvaney recorded a Big East qualifying time of 31:39 in 10,000-meter run. The University of Miami women’s 4×400-meter relay finished second with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 3:34.21 Saturday at the Florida Relays, while senior Jennifer Geroux and junior Melissa Norris qualified for the Big East Championships in the 10,000-meters at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, NC. Miami returns to action April 4-6 at the Texas Relays in Austin, TX.

CANESFEST

Saturday marks the first time fans can see the 2002 Miami Hurricanes as they participate in a scrimmage at the Orange Bowl, part of CanesFest 2002. The fun begins at 8:00 a.m., when gates open. At that time, Select-A-Seat also begins and Hurricane Locker Room and Touchdown Alley both open. Head Coach Larry Coker will participate in a 9:30 a.m. question and answer session in the Athletic Club. The scrimmage begins at 10:00 a.m., and immediately following the game, there will be a 30-minute autograph session with players and coaches.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...