SoBe for the carless

What a dilemma.

It’s Friday, you’re itching for a SoBe night on the town, but you don’t have car, don’t want to ask your friend for yet another ride to the Beach, and cannot afford the $40 cab ride on top of the club cover.

Yes, Miami has probably one of the worst public transit systems on the east coast, but don’t fear. As bad as it may seem, it can cheaply and safely take you to the Beach late at night and bring you back at the crack of dawn.

Start off your trek on the Metrorail, which runs till midnight, and get off at the Government Center station in downtown Miami. Once there, walk about a block and a half from the station to the bus terminal, making your way through a a few of downtown’s wandering penniless denizens and Alzheimer’s patients.

From that platform you’ll take the S or Night Owl bus routes with an eclectic mix of tired Latin American nannies, construction workers, college students, drunkards, waiters and-occasionally-cheap call girls. The bus ride to the Beach is about 20 minutes long. A mild caveat: Don’t’ make the trip alone. While most of the homeless residents are harmless, you might run into an all-too persistent beggar who could give you a good scare.

Fortunately for those who favor late-night dinners and are on a budget constraint-or simply like to kick off the night way after midnight-a number SoBe’s kitchens are open as late as 2 a.m. A few are in full swing 24/7. Puerto de Sagua, on Seventh Street and Collins Avenue, has dinner specials starting off at about $6. I had a delectable chicken platter with rice and beans, a side of plantains. I also ordered a tres leches and caf

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...