SoBe for the carless

What a dilemma.

It’s Friday, you’re itching for a SoBe night on the town, but you don’t have car, don’t want to ask your friend for yet another ride to the Beach, and cannot afford the $40 cab ride on top of the club cover.

Yes, Miami has probably one of the worst public transit systems on the east coast, but don’t fear. As bad as it may seem, it can cheaply and safely take you to the Beach late at night and bring you back at the crack of dawn.

Start off your trek on the Metrorail, which runs till midnight, and get off at the Government Center station in downtown Miami. Once there, walk about a block and a half from the station to the bus terminal, making your way through a a few of downtown’s wandering penniless denizens and Alzheimer’s patients.

From that platform you’ll take the S or Night Owl bus routes with an eclectic mix of tired Latin American nannies, construction workers, college students, drunkards, waiters and-occasionally-cheap call girls. The bus ride to the Beach is about 20 minutes long. A mild caveat: Don’t’ make the trip alone. While most of the homeless residents are harmless, you might run into an all-too persistent beggar who could give you a good scare.

Fortunately for those who favor late-night dinners and are on a budget constraint-or simply like to kick off the night way after midnight-a number SoBe’s kitchens are open as late as 2 a.m. A few are in full swing 24/7. Puerto de Sagua, on Seventh Street and Collins Avenue, has dinner specials starting off at about $6. I had a delectable chicken platter with rice and beans, a side of plantains. I also ordered a tres leches and caf

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...