Culture

SoBe for the carless

What a dilemma.

It’s Friday, you’re itching for a SoBe night on the town, but you don’t have car, don’t want to ask your friend for yet another ride to the Beach, and cannot afford the $40 cab ride on top of the club cover.

Yes, Miami has probably one of the worst public transit systems on the east coast, but don’t fear. As bad as it may seem, it can cheaply and safely take you to the Beach late at night and bring you back at the crack of dawn.

Start off your trek on the Metrorail, which runs till midnight, and get off at the Government Center station in downtown Miami. Once there, walk about a block and a half from the station to the bus terminal, making your way through a a few of downtown’s wandering penniless denizens and Alzheimer’s patients.

From that platform you’ll take the S or Night Owl bus routes with an eclectic mix of tired Latin American nannies, construction workers, college students, drunkards, waiters and-occasionally-cheap call girls. The bus ride to the Beach is about 20 minutes long. A mild caveat: Don’t’ make the trip alone. While most of the homeless residents are harmless, you might run into an all-too persistent beggar who could give you a good scare.

Fortunately for those who favor late-night dinners and are on a budget constraint-or simply like to kick off the night way after midnight-a number SoBe’s kitchens are open as late as 2 a.m. A few are in full swing 24/7. Puerto de Sagua, on Seventh Street and Collins Avenue, has dinner specials starting off at about $6. I had a delectable chicken platter with rice and beans, a side of plantains. I also ordered a tres leches and caf

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas